What's new

Ok, Who Had What for Dinner?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Basically sliced pork butt or shoulder cured with salt, vinegar and spices, maybe a bit of sugar. Not something you would serve as a main dish but a real treat when cooked down in New Orleans style Red Beans and Rice. Often used when smothering vegetables especially snap (pole) beans, lima beans, cabbage etc.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Basically sliced pork butt or shoulder cured with salt, vinegar and spices, maybe a bit of sugar. Not something you would serve as a main dish but a real treat when cooked down in New Orleans style Red Beans and Rice. Often used when smothering vegetables especially snap (pole) beans, lima beans, cabbage etc.
I grew up killing our own hogs. I was young but about 10 years ago we did 7 hogs and I took about 6 whole hams and sugar cured them. They turned out really great. Layed them in an outside building in a big xl galvanized pan with the salt/seasoning mix and kept packing them with the mix they were sitting on top of. Old school. We would then boil the ham or cut some off and put in fresh Lima beans and cook it like that. I may try to do another or 2 someday

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I grew up killing our own hogs. I was young but about 10 years ago we did 7 hogs and I took about 6 whole hams and sugar cured them. They turned out really great. Layed them in an outside building in a big xl galvanized pan with the salt/seasoning mix and kept packing them with the mix they were sitting on top of. Old school. We would then boil the ham or cut some off and put in fresh Lima beans and cook it like that. I may try to do another or 2 someday
That was what we called "real country ham" when I was little. Take a few slices and boil or simmer them in water for about 2-3 minutes to pull out some of the salt. Then fry them up and serve on fresh biscuits.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
That was what we called "real country ham" when I was little. Take a few slices and boil or simmer them in water for about 2-3 minutes to pull out some of the salt. Then fry them up and serve on fresh biscuits.
Grandma used to make homemade strawberry jelly to go with those biscuits. Occasionally we would have homemade sweet potato biscuits which were real good too. But yes that’s exactly how we are growing up. Had to pull some of that salt back out like you say