What's new

28-bottle Wineador capacity question

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hello all,

I am considering a wineador, chiefly for temp control here in FL. I am considering the Edgestar 28-bottle (TWR282S), available at CompactAppliance.com (I don't yet have a high enough post count to insert a link). I am considering this model mainly because of price, and that most of you purchase the 28-bottle models.

My concern is capacity. I currently store my entire collection in a 150 Qt. marine cooler. I have approx. 25 boxes and 7 trays full of singles. The cooler's capacity is maxed out. I don't want to spend the money on a wine cooler to find that I can only fit half of my cigars in it. Can anyone tell me what kind of capacity they get with their wineadors? Also, I would consider a larger unit, like a 54-bottle, but I can't find single-zone coolers that big, and the descriptions rarely say if the units are thermoelectric or compressor.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Keith

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Keith, I'm sure you will get responses, but in the meantime check out this forum....

[ame="http://www.botl.org/community/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11"]Storage[/ame]

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I owned an Avanti 28 bottle a few years back and there is no way you will fit all those cigars in there. I could put boxes in sideways (with the side of the box facing out) and I could put them side by side on a shelf. I could only go about 7 or 8 high if I remember right..which would put you at around 14-16 boxes. I have a cabinet that fits at least twice that, but you almost have to have temp control down here in Florida. What you have to consider doing is probably getting 2 of them because I also looked at the larger ones and I noticed that they are way more expensive per square foot. The 28 bottles are really a sweet spot when it comes to price/storage...and they are more commonly thermoelectric than the larger ones and single zone. Also, there is no way you're going to find cooling capability in a humidor for under a couple grand. I'd say you'd probably wanna buy 2 of them for your size collection and you'll have a little room left for growth.

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
Yep, they won't fit. I went from a 120 qt, to a 28 bottle, ahd to downsize about 30%. You can get about 600- 700 sticks in there.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Jason,

Yeah, that's the conclusion I was coming too, also. I can get 2 28-bottle units for $400, or one 32-bottle unit for the same price...

Did you mod your wineador with the external temp controller, or are you one of the lucky guys that doesn't even have to plug in his wineador?

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I never used an external temp controller as mine ran pretty much at 65/65 all the time. Of course, at the time I was living in Michigan...but I think the temp controllers are for people who prefer running closer to 70 degrees. Also, that was an Avanti and not an Edgestar. I'll probably be buying an Edgestar here pretty soon, but I don't see any reason why they'd run terribly colder...and even if they do I can't see them running much below 60 degrees. Those thermoelectric units are not very powerful and if you read closely they cannot cool more than around 15 degrees ambient temp if I remember right. If your place is running 80 degrees in the summer like mine than that puts you at around 65 degrees.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If your place is running 80 degrees in the summer like mine...
That sounds exactly like my situation; now the decision is if I should buy 2 units, and then, where the heck I'll put 2! Oh well, thanks for the info; this is really useful.

BTW, I'm heading up to Sarasota this afternoon; my in-laws are up there for a couple months for Orioles spring training. Heading up for dinner at the Chart House...

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I agree, you need two. The larger uits usually run on compressors, and thermo-electric is want you need. The External Temp controller is used in my set up, because my coller was maxed at 55*, and was running to often. Do a search for Ranco temp controller and buy the $50 model. you can buy custom shelves from a few gentlemen here or just rig some up like I did, and save the money. Of course mine is not a thing of beauty like some of these guy's. But I can't smoke a humidor so I'm good with it.

Lorax429

Dagum
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello all,

I am considering a wineador, chiefly for temp control here in FL. I am considering the Edgestar 28-bottle (TWR282S), available at CompactAppliance.com (I don't yet have a high enough post count to insert a link). I am considering this model mainly because of price, and that most of you purchase the 28-bottle models.

My concern is capacity. I currently store my entire collection in a 150 Qt. marine cooler. I have approx. 25 boxes and 7 trays full of singles. The cooler's capacity is maxed out. I don't want to spend the money on a wine cooler to find that I can only fit half of my cigars in it. Can anyone tell me what kind of capacity they get with their wineadors? Also, I would consider a larger unit, like a 54-bottle, but I can't find single-zone coolers that big, and the descriptions rarely say if the units are thermoelectric or compressor.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Keith
I have that exact model and I can tell you it will not hold anywhere near the capacity you are talking about here. I have 2 trays and about 14-15 boxes of various sizes and I would say I probably have it a bit over filled.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
if you take a 28 bottle and fill it with drawers, you can fit those smokes... but not in their boxes...
you are better off with the cooler for that many boxes...

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Danilo, thanks. I've been happy with the cooler, but now that I'm in FL, I worry about the temperature going too high and inviting beetle infestation. That's why I'm trying to find a solution that will satisfy both the temp and RH needs. I can't afford to just keep my home's AC at 70 or below all season...:bigeyes:

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Danilo, thanks. I've been happy with the cooler, but now that I'm in FL, I worry about the temperature going too high and inviting beetle infestation. That's why I'm trying to find a solution that will satisfy both the temp and RH needs. I can't afford to just keep my home's AC at 70 or below all season...:bigeyes:
forgot to factor in FLA... my house is at 72 all the time... and my humi and bins would get up to 74ish....

The wine cooler is the way to go... see what target has... they had avanti 28's for like 150... and it's a really nice looking unit. It's not as wide as some, but you should be ok with 2 of em.

keinreis

BoM Oct '11
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
I am going to have to get a wine cooler also. My temp in my house is usually about 76. I am just waiting till someone has another sale on them.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have been checking the Open Box Deals on CompactAppliance.com several times/day for the last week and a half. I saw it posted in another thread the other day that the 28-bottle Edgestar was available open box, but 13 minutes later, it wasn't. So, I called Compact Appliance and asked if they had any open box units. They didn't, but offered me the 28-bottle Edgestar for $185.00, with free shipping and return. So, I bit the bullet. The unit will be here on Monday. I'm sure I'll have lots and lots of questions, and will probably be wanting to buy some custom shelves...

I know that one unit will not be enough capacity for all of my smokes, but I intend to take this one for a test-drive, and if I like the way it performs, I'll buy another. At the very least, I can put the most valuable stuff in the Edgestar, and keep the less desirable stuff in the cooler, which will increase my storage capacity considerably :clap:

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Go to vinotemps website and by a scratch and dent model that is much bigger for less then half new. Sounds like what you need is either 2 28s(which still may not be enoug) or 1 big boy like a 300bottle. I have a vinotemp28 and a edgestar 28 (1 singles 1 boxes) The boxed unit is full at around 20 boxes. The singles unit is holding 6 drawers right now whith about 250-300 sticks.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a stupid question, but what makes this different than a fridge? I know in my fridge sometimes when it is hot out there is a lot of condensation formed. Does this not happen with a wine cooler? Do you still need an after market humidification source?

Thanks

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
This might be a stupid question, but what makes this different than a fridge? I know in my fridge sometimes when it is hot out there is a lot of condensation formed. Does this not happen with a wine cooler? Do you still need an after market humidification source?

Thanks
Thermoelectric models create little if any condensation which will maintain a more regular humidity, they don't run on freon, have quieter operation, there is no vibration and I believe they also require less power to operate.

You will still need a humidification source, most people use the beads you can pick up at Heartfelt Industries