What's new

30-countTravel Case : difficult choice

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to buy a "cigar caddy"-like travel case and i hesitate between two models :
this one :http://www.puroexpress.com/Online_Shop/Service/Detail/Product/1940/Travel_Size_Humidors/Cigar_Caddy___30_Stick.html

and that one :
http://www.neptunecigar.com/pr/cigar_mechanic_large_travel_humidor.aspx

The only apparent difference is the himidifier. I think that the "cigar mechanic" contains beads while the "cigar caddy" has a humidifier with "green floral foam".
I would have a preference for the cigar mechanic one, but I'm waiting for your wise advices !
NB : I never placed an order neither at purosexpress.com nor at neptunecigar.com, so if any of you BOTL has some feedback, i'd be glad to read you.
Thanks in advance.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
If it were me I'd go with the one with beads, just because I really like the reliability of the beads in my humidor. Both look pretty similar so without having them actually in front of me I'd be hard pressed to say one is better quality than the other (perhaps someone who actually has these will chime in for you). The only thing thing that would play a factor that I didn't look at was shipping costs, which may be different for you anyway. Must be nice to "need" a 30 count travel case :grin:.

Dan

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I agree with Dan, if the only difference is in fact the humidification device, go with the travel case from NeptuneCigar.

issues

DPG & Tat Whore
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have one of these:

http://www.smokes-spirits.com/Productdetails.aspx?store=3&product=9985

It doesn't have any humidification device but it did come with a Boveda pack in it. I bought mine from Tampa Humidor for around 40 USD.

Once the Boveda pack dried out I just used 2 water pillows, one on each of the first 2 foam trays and they work just fine.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Sorry, just saw you were in Europe.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this first opinion Dan ! I also like the cigar mechanic beads.
It's so true that if I go for one, the shipping part will make me cry, but honestly I think I could find some friend in PARIS bringing me one but they are more expensive if I buy it in my own country !
So I'll wait the best moment (i.e. the best currency conversion rate for $ / €).
The thing is the puroexpress website can charge me directly in € while with neptune I'll have to pay for the conversion in $.
Anyway, i'll wait for more opinions about cases and/or the 2 websites !
thanks for the other responses, I'm too slow typing in english (and checking some translations ! :D)

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beads. Definitely. Don't know the websites to comment on, but bank fees for converting currency can be noticeable, these days.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Sirs ! I'll go for the one with Beads !
Gotta go to Switzerland (near Geneva) in August. I f i have time, i'll go and check the pricesin some places i know to see if Swiss franc is more interesting for me than a deal in dollar !
The world is a Global Village ! :)

@Danthebugman -> it's not really that i "need" it but it will be easier to use a case rather than my small humidor ("Palermo" from ADORINI Brand).
I'll see how to post pictures here and I'll post some if you want.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
I personally use Pelican cases, either the 1200 or 1300 model and use inserts from Ron.. Nothing works like these and really takes care of your cigars,,,,

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Angry Bill ! I just have to see where i can find Pelican cases in France if ever they are sold in shops here.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earnold that's surely the case, because your cigars are always at top humidity rate. As far as I'm concern, RH is playing yo-yo in my large humidor and sometimes I buy cigars a bit dry (we don't have so much good cigar shops in my place)!
Reason why I like the idea of having an humifier inside the case, even if it won't be used all the time.

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Of the two options in your original post, I'd go with the cigar mechanic as it sports beads (I don't trust foam) and a "purge valve" which is a FANTASTIC selling point if you plan using this during air travel. It can be a real pain when you get settled into your destination point and suddenly find that your travel humidor has not only protected your cigars, but now also serves as a vacuum sealed safe that can only be opened with a knife-like object.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
why are people reccomending the Cigar Mechanic beads? These are not the same that you buy from Heartfelt. They are kitty litter in a fancy package.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
How has no one brought up boveda's? I find they seal so well that anything else just get in the way. I threw out the humidifier that came with mine and soley rely on 2 boveda's! The boveda's have lasted over a year now so think they are perfect.