What's new

40 count travel humidor in hot weather

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Family of the leaf...

I'll be taking out a group of my guys out for an exercise to Glamis in July. We will be setting up a FARP for training for about a month. Daily temperates will exceed 100 degrees daily. The plan is to sleep in tents somehow, should I even bother taking sticks or will the chances of them going bad be high in a travel humidor that will most likely be hot all day and night?

I appreciate any info I get.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Family of the leaf...

I'll be taking out a group of my guys out for an exercise to Glamis in July. We will be setting up a FARP for training for about a month. Daily temperates will exceed 100 degrees daily. The plan is to sleep in tents somehow, should I even bother taking sticks or will the changes of them going bad be high in a travel humidor that will most likely be hot all day and night?

I appreciate any info I get.

Thank you!
I'm thinking you should freeze any sticks you bring beforehand if storage temps are going to exceed 73 degrees. That way, you preclude a visit from tobacco beetles.

I think Boveda 75s would serve you well in such a hot, dry climate. Get yourself a high-capacity Herf-a-dor and smoke until you're blue in the face...(y)

I could be wrong though; maybe even the 75s won't be sufficient in the desert...

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I own 3 different types of Herf A Dors including the 40 count one. I keep a Boveda Pak in mine ( 65%) and never experience any issues. If you are in a place with very high temps then put your Herf A Dor inside a playmate with some ice inside....the water won't get into the Herf A Dor but it will keep the temps where you want it.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Probably not much help, but i keep a 10 count inside my backpack with a 65% boveda almost at all times. I usually don't put expensive smokes in unless I know I'll smoke it the next day. I don't ever really notice any negative affects to the cigars, though I'm not on the snob level as some of our other brothers(looking at you Ryan

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Wouldn't pack anything super special or fragile wrappers, but I recently went camping and my 40 ct herfadors saw major temp swings from 40s-100 with no ill effects. Big Boveda and thats it.

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
I live in atlanta and keep a 15ct inside my car at all times. I keep daily smokes like tattoos or lbpr's in there and have never had an issue. And I know my car has to get up to 120-140 degrees inside of it. Wouldn't sweat too much...just use boveda and keep an eye on them.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I live in atlanta and keep a 15ct inside my car at all times. I keep daily smokes like tattoos or lbpr's in there and have never had an issue. And I know my car has to get up to 120-140 degrees inside of it. Wouldn't sweat too much...just use boveda and keep an eye on them.
What nick said except for slightly less temps and different daily smokes

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Glamis in July, you guys are nuts! haha

I go out there a lot for riding but never in that heat, at most it's high 80's to low 90's. I have a small 10ct herfador and I always keep it inside the ice chest with a 69% boveda inside. That would be your best bet especially if your staying inside tents.

Rating - 90%
9   1   0
If you keep the herf-a-dor out of the sun, you should be just fine. And remember, you can never have too many Bovedas.