What's new

40 drawer patience killer

L8A

BoM Feb '11
Rating - 99.1%
208   1   0
I basically stole this 56 Cu Ft 40 drawer locker style humidor for a few hundred bucks but it has sat empty and dry for about 5 years. It is in great shape and looks amazing in the office but I cant seem to get the thing up over 61%? I have a Moist-N-Aire unit in the top and about about 8 pounds of beads in it as well and both have been in it for almost a month. I just ordered a Hydra Commercial unit to put into the bottom, but I'm still not sure if it's the size of the unit or maybe the time year that is preventing me from getting any higher than 61%. ANY ideas????

n.olson

Veteran Eccentric
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
as always i go to your hydrometer first, and stop by the introductions thread and introduce yourself!

swat253

CRA Member #206760
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Welcome to BOTL!

Post a few more details;
Did you season it beforehand?
How long have you been waitng for rh to rise?
Is it currently holding cigars?
How are you measuring RH - Analog/Digital?

As with any new or empty humidor you probably need to go through a "seasoning period" before you can expect to maintain a proper rh level. If it wasn't seasoned properly, the wood interior is probably sucking up the humidity and it could be a while before it rises much more.

There are plenty of knowledgeable people here who should be able to get you up and running in no time!

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
an dry unit, empty of cigars could take weeks and weeks of sucking up moisture before you stop getting the humidor set. As the humidor gains moisture it may expand slightly and the joints fit better and end up sealing better. Think of all of that wood as thirty bounds of beeds than need to be humidified, but unlike beeds you can't just wet the surface and be done. Start with a good calibrated hygrometer as advised, then go with lots of patience. I built a cabinet and had the opposite problem, the wood had been stored outside and it took months to get the humidity down.

Good luck and welcome.

L8A

BoM Feb '11
Rating - 99.1%
208   1   0
i have 2 digital hydrometers that have been in my 300 count for over a year as well as 2 remote temp/humidity sensors on a La Crosse system. All say the same thing...61%

L8A

BoM Feb '11
Rating - 99.1%
208   1   0
Welcome to BOTL!

Post a few more details;
Did you season it beforehand?
How long have you been waitng for rh to rise?
Is it currently holding cigars?
How are you measuring RH - Analog/Digital?

As with any new or empty humidor you probably need to go through a "seasoning period" before you can expect to maintain a proper rh level. If it wasn't seasoned properly, the wood interior is probably sucking up the humidity and it could be a while before it rises much more.

There are plenty of knowledgeable people here who should be able to get you up and running in no time!
This is a VERY large commercial locker style unit you would find in a club or lounge. It has 40 individual drawers and the entire unit has dimensions of
7' H x 4' W x 2' Deep. I have been waiting on it for about a month and have wiped it down about 4 different times. It doesnt have any cigars in it yet because of the constant 61%.

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
i have 2 digital hydrometers that have been in my 300 count for over a year as well as 2 remote temp/humidity sensors on a La Crosse system. All say the same thing...61%

Even though they say the same thing, have they been salt tested (calibrated) lately. Also, as stated it will take time for the wood to acclimate itself to the new environment. Also, check for proper sealing.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
an dry unit, empty of cigars could take weeks and weeks of sucking up moisture before you stop getting the humidor set. As the humidor gains moisture it may expand slightly and the joints fit better and end up sealing better. Think of all of that wood as thirty bounds of beeds than need to be humidified, but unlike beeds you can't just wet the surface and be done. Start with a good calibrated hygrometer as advised, then go with lots of patience. I built a cabinet and had the opposite problem, the wood had been stored outside and it took months to get the humidity down.

Good luck and welcome.
I agree with Mitch 100%....You yourself said the unit had not been used for 5years, it's gonna take some time for it to re-acclimate itself, be patient my friend.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
a unit this size needs a large and accurate humidification system. The Hydra is no where near enough. The moist n air is robust enough, but they usually have poor accuracy. A humidor of this size and type needs a well thought out humidity system.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I would love to see some pics of it. i have helped a couple of cigar shops with improving humidification in theirs, and I am sure i can help you.

openendstraight

Grand Corona
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
I would love to see some pics of it. i have helped a couple of cigar shops with improving humidification in theirs, and I am sure i can help you.
Ron, don't you think he would need some fans in something like that, seeing how it is a lot of small little spaces, and not one big open space.

Just thinking out loud.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
something that big could need a lot of work if looking for perfect humidity.

is each door or drawer sealed well?

is the seal good on all the joints?

the humidity usually flows up the rear of the cabinet. so you might need fans to disburse humidity evenly throughout the cabinet.

In each individual cubby, is there good airflow so the humidity in the rear of the cabinet is actually getting into the cubby.

was this designed as a self humidified unit? or was it made to just go inside of a large humidified walkin

who made it? I sold a few Accumonitors this week to guys who have terrible seals in "made in china" cabinets

L8A

BoM Feb '11
Rating - 99.1%
208   1   0
something that big could need a lot of work if looking for perfect humidity.

is each door or drawer sealed well?

is the seal good on all the joints?

the humidity usually flows up the rear of the cabinet. so you might need fans to disburse humidity evenly throughout the cabinet.

In each individual cubby, is there good airflow so the humidity in the rear of the cabinet is actually getting into the cubby.

was this designed as a self humidified unit? or was it made to just go inside of a large humidified walkin

who made it? I sold a few Accumonitors this week to guys who have terrible seals in "made in china" cabinets
This is a Stewart-Beckwith unit that is made to be self contained. it has 4 individual 10 drawer solid Cedar units that are encased in a solid Mohagany enclosure. There is plenty of ventilation between drawers and the units themselves. Not only is this an incredible humidor, but it it is an incredibly well built piece of furniture as well.