What's new

65%rh vs 70%rh a review

the_brain

Megalomaniac Genius Mouse
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This always comes up and wanted to add my $0.02.

First off I am a 2 cigar a day guy, not one of the major connoisseurs that hang out on this board, just an enthusiast. I was looking at the 60% vs. 70% thing, like everyone else, and wanted some more info. As a result I put together the below test.

I had 2 humidors and ordered beads for each at 70% or 65%. I allowed each to stabilize for 4 days before adding the cigars and let them stay in the humidors for a month before starting this process. This test is single blind (I did not know if the cigar was 65 or 70 until after the whole test was done). I put multiple of the same cigars into both of the humidors. My wife then selected for me each night without telling me what rh I was testing. I took notes and she correlated it with the rh. All of this is MY impression of the results, there was no scientific testing, just smoking.

Cigars that showed a MAJOR difference:
1.) Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 50 Years Robusto Box Press – Best at 70% - much richer at 70%
2.) Punch Rare Corojo Champion – Best at 65% - much better draw at 65%, flavors rounder and smoother.
3.) Partagas Lusitania - Best at 65% - More twang and nuttier at 65%

Cigars that showed some difference:
1.) Camacho Corojo Churchill Natural – Better at 70% - mellower at 70%
2.) Camacho Corojo Churchill Maduro – Better at 70% - mellower at 70%
3.) La Aroma De Cuba Robusto – Better at 70% - harshness gone at 70%
4.) La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor Magnifico – Better at 65% - better draw and stronger at 65%
5.) Punch Rare Corojo 10th Anniversar– Better at 65% - better draw at 65%, same otherwise
6.) H. Upmann No. 2 – Better at 70% - flavors rounder, richer at 70%
7.) Viaje Oro Reserva VOR No. 5 – Better at 65% - better draw and stronger at 65%
8.) Alec Bradley Tempus Centuria – Better at 70% - richer at 70%
9.) Arturo Fuente Hemingway Best Seller - Better at 70% - smoother at 70% (note that the draw was a bit better at 65%, but not enough to overcome the better flavor at 70%)
10) Montecristo Edmundo - much smoother at 65%rh

No Difference:
1.) OpusX Belicoso

Looks like I’m keeping both 65% and 70% rh boxes.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nicely done bro...I do like my CC's at a much lower RH, but honestly haven't experimented with NC's at all...keep them between 65-70 with not much thought.

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I am moving my desktops down to 65% RH, simply because I find 70% is too wet for the majority of my smokes to burn flawlessly, especially during the summer. My cooler has 70% beads in it to provide a safety factor for my smokes that are down for long-term aging.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Interesting experiment. Would be nice to see your results after a couple more months. Thanks for sharing.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Over the years, I've found that most of the people I respect in the industry have all learned that a slightly lower relative humidity level is better for LONG TERM aging. For those guys (and many of us on this board), it's not about how the cigar tastes this week or this month... it's how today's product is going to taste in 2017 and beyond. For that, I think you'll find that most experienced aged cigar smokers and collectors will tell you they've settled on some slightly lower numbers than 70.
I used to be a die hard 70rh guy but for me and what i smoke 68rh has become the sweet spot. I don't have many cubans but i do concur that for me 65/66 is good, so usually dry box my cubans a day so they hit the lower RH.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
This is a very cool "review", man!!

I've had good results with 65% or slightly higher for NCs and and slightly lower (closer to 60%) for CCs.

I have often wondered if maduros with their very oily wrappers might smoke better closer to 70%, but mine have been smoking so well that I haven't felt the need to experiment.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Great thread... thanks everyone for sharing!

I use 65% beads in the wine cooler for aging and 70% in the desktop. Werks for me.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Cool experiment. AZCigarNut hit it on the head, for really long term aging lower RH is much better.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
We all have our own way of keeping our cigars at the RH we like but experiments are good to do so we have a good idea at what RH our cigars smoke best. I keep a lot of humidors at different RH's because I know at what RH they smoke best at. It takes time to set up as far as what we like but I think it's totally worth it.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What did the hygrometers say the %rh in each box was? My beads hold 67 or 68 no matter what I do and what calibrated hygrometer I place in to measure.

Did your 65 box actually stay at 65, and did you 70 box stay at 70?