What's new

A couple questions on RH...

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
1. Why 65%? I see people at 70%, yet most of you guys sasy 65%. A B&M told Mrs. Tiger when she got some humidifier jars that 70% was correct. What will be the difference in the two besides 5%? Taste? Smoke? Draw?

2. Is taste affected by humidity? Ive noticed that the Padron 2000 Maduros I have in one of my travel humi's taste different that the ones in the other. The ones that taste worse were in a humi that I put too much distilled water in (Xikar) so I know it was too humid...the cigars in there had dew on the wrappers until I dried them out.

Any help?

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
depends on your preference of your smoke. I like them around 67%-68%. also an overhumidified cigar will need constant attention, relights, touchups which takes away from the enjoyment or a dry cigar will burn fast and hot and also not a good experience. Time and experience will let you know what the right RH is for you.

Oh and a cigar should never have "dew" on the wrapper.

Rating - 100%
75   0   0
depends on your preference of your smoke.
overhumidified cigar will need constant attention, relights, touchups which takes away from the enjoyment or a dry cigar will burn fast and hot and also not a good experience. Time and experience will let you know what the right RH is for you.

Oh and a cigar should never have "dew" on the wrapper.
What he said. I think anywhere between 65-70% should be good.Personally I keep mine at 65%. I use to keep them around 70% but it would always creep up to 75%.I was constantly relighting and fixing the burn. I have 65% beads now and things are great. They smoke alot better.

Last edited:

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
It's a personal preference thing, mostly. For years the accepted norm was 70%, but in the past 5-10 years you've seen quite a bit of variation and lots of discussion on anything between 60 and 70%. Most of that conversation comes from storing/aging Cuban cigars. There is a line of thought that says CC's smoke better when stored around 65%. Personally I've found that smokes from anywhere smoke better for me between 65-68%.

Humidity can certainly affect taste, but it has more to do with burn rate than anything else. Over humidified cigars tend to be more difficult to smoke which causes you to draw harder which can overheat the cigar and harsh the flavors. Same thing with a too-dry cigar. They tend to burn too fast and get to hot.

There is also discussion regarding RH and the essential oils within the tobacco. My personal opinion on the matter is that it is better to store cigars for long term at closer to 70% RH so that you hold on to those oils for as long as possible, while cigars that are to be smoked in the near term are better off at closer to 65%.

Again, in the end, it's up to you and what you prefer. That being said, I've yet to talk to anyone who went to 65% (or thereabouts) and was disappointed.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
For newer guys such as yourself I can give this advice. It's easier to not screw up your cigars at 65% because at 70% your only a couple RH points off of getting closer to one word. MOLD.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I always do 65. I have a lot of maduros and feel they smoke better at a lower RH. In the winter time when the heat is constantly running I will bump it up close to 70 to compensate for the dry air in the house

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Trial and error. I find 65-67% works best for me. I move boxes around to various spots in the humi as well. 70% seems to plug more often and burn hot. 60% was a little too dry. Try the 65% beads and then see what you think after they settle.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I am struggling to get my humi down from 70%. I would much rather be at 62% they just draw and smoke better for me. I think the reason 70 was the norm is because it was easy to remember 70/70. And for the normal once in while smoker, it probably does not make a difference. For most of us, a few points in variation make us lose sleep.