What's new

A wineador question.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I'm curious how quickly your wineadors drop in humidity with a quick open and close. I have noticed that when grabbing a cigar from mine, it will drop as much as 8 percent and take quite a while to regulate back to 65. Granted the dry MN air probably doesn't take long to affect my hygrometers. Just wondering what BOTLs experience with this is, and if I potentially don't have enough Bovedas to regulate the space correctly. My set up currently is a cuisinart 12 bottle, with 8 65 Bovedas, and 2 small bead containers. Thanks in advance.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
it's just a temporary flux from the door opening. the RH inside likely doesnt change. mine goes up a few % when i open it but then 10 min later it's back to normal

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
As long as your bovedas/beads are spread around and charged up, you don't have to worry as that is enough.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
more is good. If you see big fluctuations and long recovery time, it never hurts to add humidification.

Then again, might just be your hygro.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Just remember the hygrometer is actually just reading the ambient air around your cigars as you hold the door open and the RH equalizes with the outside atmosphere.
If your cigars are stored at 65% RH and you open the door for two minutes selecting cigars and the hygrometers go to 72% Your cigars are not instantly transforming to 72%. Many will agree , that it easily takes days to take RH off "wet" cigars, or adding RH to dry cigars.

For your recovery question, I have an 18 bottle (tall) style, and within an hour it is back to my configured RH, which is 65%....
I'll have the door open 3 minutes when I go in there.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
KL will recover much slower as it is an absorbing medium where as if you use 'beads' your box (of any kind) will recover RH quicker, the more beads the faster the recovery.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
KL will recover much slower as it is an absorbing medium where as if you use 'beads' your box (of any kind) will recover RH quicker, the more beads the faster the recovery.
Have you tried both?
I greatly prefer the performance of my KL over the Heartfelt I used prior.
Just another guy's $0.02

Last edited:

btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
Have you tried both?
I greatly prefer the performance of my KL over the Heartfelt I used prior.
Just another guy's $0.02
Second this. I think it also really depends the environment that you are in...if you house is running at something drastic humidity levels then yes, opening and closing will take much longer to acclimate. Luckily I don't live in an extreme environment so my stuff generally holds strong with little fluctuation when opening and closing....

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I get your point 100%. Beads add RH quicker. The difference in opinions I am seeing here, I believe is due to locale...

In Pennsylvania here, I am usually pulling RH down. In my experience KL works the fastest and put me at 65% better than anything.
For replenishing RH, I have two ( 6oz? ) HCM bead containers. So it's a hybrid setup. Almost maintenance free over here.

People in dry areas may rely on beads to keep the RH up. In that particular case, that's likely best. I also know a few who elect rather to use KL and "treat " the KL with a spritz distilled. I'm not on board with that...