What's new

Adding dry heartfelt beads to rid of excess humidity? (sorry if repost)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sorry if it's been asked before, but i can't find anything using a search.

i want my humidor to go down to 65-68%. Since heartfelt beads work both ways and i want to lower humidity, would i benefit from adding beads in a humidor / wineador dry and not charging them with DW? or do they absolutely need the DW in order for them to work?

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I suppose it depends on the amount of humidity you are trying to get rid of. But, IIRC... yes, it should work. They certainly don't need the DW. I'm just not sure what the capabilities are for absorbing x% of humidity.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they will be fighting each other. The 65 beads will be pulling moisture and the 70 beads will be letting moisture out. I remember asking the owner of heartfelt over the phone and he didn't recommend it

Rating - 100%
152   0   0
Had the same problem at the end of summer (here in the dirty south). I have 65% beads, and the wineador was running low/mid 70s. I put in about a 1/2 pound of dry beads and it brought it right down & held steady at 65%.

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Buy the beads that are recommended for the size of the storage space needed and ditch the bar.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
right on. thanks guys. i guess the real issue / question was if i can use the beads dry. i appreciate the responses. setting up and maintaining conditions for my humidor is a lot like setting up a terrarium. i have a feeling i'm gonna get to the point that i got with my last terrarium and was like "well, they're alive. screw the ideal conditions." except for cigars it's "no mold, no beetles or burn issues? right on." haahahaha

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
$10 will buy you over 5lbs of KL which can safely be microwaved to remove excess moisture. I have to do it every few months to keep my RH below 66%.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I dont even charge my 65% beads in the summer - they just absorb

This time of year in the NE I charge once a week.

What I personally do is only charge half by beads and leave the other half dry - has worked out quite well the last two years

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
My box went up to around 75% so I got the 65% beads and thew them in ROTT dry .They pulled the humidity down to 65% and have held that for the last month.