What's new

Aging Cigars...When to smoke them?

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Cigar Aging

I found this artical on aging cigars and I wanted to get some thoughts. Do cigars start to lose flavor with time? How long do you like to age your cigars before you smoke them? When do you start to see plume?

I wholeheartedly subscribe to the theory that aging has a critical impact on a cigar's body and flavor. Initial aging after their rolling is essential to allow the cigar to dry and stabilize. Not only will this greatly improve the flavor, but also greatly improve the burn and draw. Stabilization takes only 6 to 8 weeks, however allowing your cigars to age even longer will let the flavors of the blend meld and mellow into a more harmonious smoke. A cigar's complexities and nuances will be greatly enhanced with long-term aging in a proper environment.

On the other hand, I am also a firm believer that cigars do not perpetually age for the better. Every cigar eventually hits a peak, and from there on it is downhill. So it is just as important to not overage your cigars, as it is to age them in the first place.

The younger the cigar the more drastic the impact time has upon it; 3 months can mean a world of difference to a freshly rolled cigar, whereas 3 months are negligible when dealing with 15 year old sticks.

Assigning fixed blocks of time is impossible, each box of cigars is different, and it will respond differently to aging. With that said, here are some ballpark figures to use:

1 Years - Cigars should be smoked within a few weeks of being rolled if you desire that "Chincales" type flavor, otherwise they should be allowed to rest for a year without exception. All cigars are better a year later in my opinion.

2 Years - This is a good time to start smoking those Habanos and Hondurans. This is also the peak period for many Dominicans, and most light bodied smokes.

2 to 5 Years - These are the peak years for most other cigars. Typically the stronger fuller bodied cigars age better over a longer duration of time. This is why Havana Bolivars, Partagas, and Ramon Allones are all considered cigars that age beautifully. The same logic applies to all countries of origin.

7 to 10 Years - This is about the maximum aging time for me on almost all cigars. After this point, I find most cigars become too mellow and too pale in body for me to enjoy.

10 Years - At this point we enter into the realm of "vintage" cigars in my book. Many of these cigars will be so flat and boring they are worthless to smoke, while others will take on unique characteristics that will make them enjoyable smokes. One such trait is a musty smell and a taste that is similar to snuff. Another rarer long-term aging trait is cigars taking on an odd scent that is commonly referred to as the "stinky cheese-like smell." This odd reference is due to their pre-light bouquet being similar in scent to a ripe wheel of Stilton Cheese. Though it may sound unappealing, these cigars are a delight to smoke and are highly prized by vintage cigar collectors worldwide. Many pay top dollar to secure these smokes. Regardless of the flavor characteristics of vintage vitlolas, very seldom do any of these cigars maintain any quantitative strength at this level of aging. Also, only the fullest bodied cigars have any chance of being worthwhile smokes after this many years.

There are many exceptions to the above, it is only meant to serve as a rough guideline for your convenience. All handmade long filler cigars improve with aging, so before you dismiss any cigar as "bad" you should allow it to rest untouched for awhile. You will be genuinely surprised how many of those poor cigars blossom into enjoyable smokes. However, aging can not improve cigars that are made from inferior or under-cured tobacco.

The best way to determine the impact of time on your cigars is to smoke one occasionally from an aging box and to take detailed tasting notes. I am certain that you will see drastic improvement in the quality of your smoking experience as you allow your cigars to age. However, regardless of the age, once you find a box that no longer is improving with time consider the smoking lamp lit and enjoy them.

By Steve Saka
CNX Cigar Counsel
Monday, August 17, 1998

http://www.cigarnexus.com/counsel/aging/index.html

jwyatt55

Not the mad fladder!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I do not intentionally age cigars. I grab a stick to smoke it as I a see fit. Some last a week in the humi others may sit a year or so. If a stick is harsh or has an ammonia taste I will not smoke another one for at least a month.

I prefer to smoke spicy/peppery cigars fresh because the spice seems to age out of most sticks fairly quickly.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I think the writer takes some very broad generalizations in regards to aging, but he's in a no win situation since taste is a subjective thing. Cigars do eventually lose flavors but that time can be exceedingly longer than he states in the article. I've smoked a handful of sticks that are 10 or more years old and have to say that they all had plenty of flavor. What is the most different about them imo is the strength of the cigar. They tend to mellow and flavors blend over time. Giving you the smoker a more pleasant experience since you are getting more of the flavors of the blend rather than the upfront tannic flavor associated with fresh tobacco.

This is of course not true of all cigars and depends alot on storage and handling etc. over time. His last paragraph I agree with 100% since there is no hard and fast rule to aging the best way to determine a cigars peak is to visit the box occasionally.

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
i believe don pepin said something to the effect of ...they can be smoked right after they are rolled. ( i may be paraphrasing) lol

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I think the writer takes some very broad generalizations in regards to aging, but he's in a no win situation since taste is a subjective thing. Cigars do eventually lose flavors but that time can be exceedingly longer than he states in the article. I've smoked a handful of sticks that are 10 or more years old and have to say that they all had plenty of flavor. What is the most different about them imo is the strength of the cigar. They tend to mellow and flavors blend over time. Giving you the smoker a more pleasant experience since you are getting more of the flavors of the blend rather than the upfront tannic flavor associated with fresh tobacco.

This is of course not true of all cigars and depends alot on storage and handling etc. over time. His last paragraph I agree with 100% since there is no hard and fast rule to aging the best way to determine a cigars peak is to visit the box occasionally.
.....have to 2nd the "taste is subjective". It really depends on the cigar,storage, and expectation of the experience.

funkejj

BoM December 09
Rating - 100%
255   0   0
if you say buy a box or a fiver or such smoke one if it tastes great then smoke them if they don't let them rest for a while and try one again in a month or six or a year. But the flavors and cigar taste is completely subjective and thus you smoke it when it is good to you. I have some cigars that are 15 years old that are the best I have ever smoked and some that are 6 years old that suck so it is when it smokes good for you and only you can be the judge of that.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
It is a very subjective thing. I know many people that do not enjoy aged cigars as they are too mild for the powerhouse smoker. Depending on my mood that can be me as well. I have smoked some 80 year old clear havanas that were wonderfull, no real body to speak of put plently of flavour. The best cigars I have smoked are in the 30 year range. Another thing to think about is Cubans and spanish generally prefer young cigars and Spain is the largest consumer of CC's. Hong Kong and London are both known for their preferance for well aged cigars. I can't tell you either is right only what I like as there are much more sofisticated and dedicated smokers then I on both sides of the fence.

Posted via Mobile Device

Rating - 100%
167   0   0
It is a very subjective thing. I know many people that do not enjoy aged cigars as they are too mild for the powerhouse smoker. Depending on my mood that can be me as well. I have smoked some 80 year old clear havanas that were wonderfull, no real body to speak of put plently of flavour. The best cigars I have smoked are in the 30 year range. Another thing to think about is Cubans and spanish generally prefer young cigars and Spain is the largest consumer of CC's. Hong Kong and London are both known for their preferance for well aged cigars. I can't tell you either is right only what I like as there are much more sofisticated and dedicated smokers then I on both sides of the fence.

Posted via Mobile Device
I will say that even though I love strong NC cigars, I am really enjoying the flavor or aged :ahem: cigars. They do not have the knock you in the face body but the experience is excellent.

I kinda compare it to a night with the wildest women you could find for the strong NC cigars, and a night with the most sensual women you could find for the aged cigars.....

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I will say that even though I love strong NC cigars, I am really enjoying the flavor or aged :ahem: cigars. They do not have the knock you in the face body but the experience is excellent.

I kinda compare it to a night with the wildest women you could find for the strong NC cigars, and a night with the most sensual women you could find for the aged cigars.....
As in both are great, it just depends on your mood that day!:wink:

BrooksW

BoM June '09
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
Just in case yall did not know, the writer is Steve Saka, who is now the President of Drew Estates...He ran Cigar Nexus before that job...

~brooks

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a box of Montes robusto 01 EL i think?? and i dont really to smoke it i just bought it to age it. but i usually age the cigars i want to smoke for 6 months to 1 year max