What's new

Aging Temp Question.

jrohrer

BoM Jan '07
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
So Sarah (despite my attempts to persuade her otherwise) decided she wanted to use our vinotemp cooler for wine storage and refrigeration. The good news is, she left the bottom layer empty as she says "the bottles don't fit nicely down there". There's room to put probably two boxes of cigars down there. The issue is we're storing white wine (at 55 degrees).

so, my question is...is 55 too cool to store some sticks???

I was thinking about throwing a box or two down and NOT touching them for quite a while! will 55 degree do damage to the smokes, or shoudl I be ox with a bunch of beads in the cooler?

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I don't believe the temp is a problem for long term storage (most feel lower is better for long term). The real problem is regulating the RH. Cooling removes humidity and therein lies the problem.There have been several threads here on problems regulating the RH in a cooler. I do believe if you put enough beads in and circulate the air you should reach a balance that is maintainable, I guess that depends a lot on how much wine you guys drink.

jrohrer

BoM Jan '07
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
we drink quite a bit of wine....but the vinotemp is a thermoelectric cooling fridge. From what I understand, this does not cool by 'sucking' out the moisture of the air within the cooler.

i think ill buy some beads and another digi hygro and see if I can maintain humidity in the bottom level before I stick cigars in there

thanks for the input ken!

AndrewDill

San Diegan
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Normally the vinotemps are off by several degrees. If It says 55 deg, it might be around 60. I'd just make sure you keep the RH up.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Well I wqas thinking more along the lines of what will happen with the boxes being mingled in with the cooled wine? Will it be harder to maintain the humidity with it full of wine bottles.

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I have successfully (at least I think so) combined cigars and wine in one unit.
I converted a deep freezer into a combo humidor/wine cellar.
Just like a full humidor, a full wine cellar is better than an empty one.
The bottles help keep a more stable temp, which keeps the cooling unit from coming on too often.
I set mine to 60 degrees which I believe to be a good compromise between cigar temps and wine storage temps.
A whole bunch of beads takes care of the humidification.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Ken nailed the main issues. 55 should be fine, RH should concern you more.

My TE does seem to suck out the RH when it turns on more to cool mostly during the hot summer months.

The more space anything takes up in the wine cooler (wine bottles, cigar boxes, or anything) the less RH is required to regulate your RH.

Rating - 100%
188   0   0
Reviving this thread as I was thinking the about the same thing (storing cigars and wine together) with the Vinotemp sale at Target. Anyone actually do this or are there any more opinions? So far it seems most say no problem...

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
you biggest problem is going to be finding a place to put the 2nd vinotemp you need to buy for your wine. The first one is for cigars.:headroll: