What's new

Ambient Weather WS-0101

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys,

Anybody using this unit from Ambient Weather? They can be calibrated, up to 3 remotes and seem to fit the bill. Just wonder about the stability.

Fred

Rating - 98%
52   1   0
I know a couple guys that use those... The only concern I would have is I think they are +/- 5% rather than the usual +/- 1% with one of the normal Hygroset of Xikar...

Im considering getting them tho and then also leaving a normal xikar one in the humi as a point of reference.

My concerns could be unfounded tho, so lets see what others have to add.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The +/- 5% is before calibration. It would be more important to see if they drift after calibration.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
404   0   0
Read my post #3 in this thread from last week. I look at my Ambient weather station too many times during the day than I care to admit!?! LOL

http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=60310

And yes, you simply get a calibration kit and calibrate the Ambient weather sensors to 75%. The only reason I bought them is because they can be calibrated.
Aloha....I was looking at these last week but did not pull the trigger due to concerns over the size of the sensor. In your opinion are the sensors on this unit too big for desktop humis?

I know that it would be OK in my coolidor but I am not sure if I need one with 3 sensors. If the sensors would fit OK in my desktops I would probably pull the trigger. :gangfire:

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Depends on what size of desktop you are talking about. If it's just a 50 or 100 count, I probably wouldn't put one of these sensors in there. If it's a larger chest, I wouldn't have a problem doing so. Just off the top of my head, the sensors are probably 3" long by 1" wide.

I have a small 50-ct desktop where I simply had beads in there and could really care less about a hygrometer because I know the beads kept it rock solid. But it sure is nice having a readout on my desk showing me the Rh/temp for 3 sensors! I think it would be pretty nice having one in a couple coolers and a decent size desktop just to see what's going on without having to open them up. So it's totally a personal preference call...

Rupe

Rating - 100%
404   0   0
Depends on what size of desktop you are talking about. If it's just a 50 or 100 count, I probably wouldn't put one of these sensors in there. If it's a larger chest, I wouldn't have a problem doing so. Just off the top of my head, the sensors are probably 3" long by 1" wide.

I have a small 50-ct desktop where I simply had beads in there and could really care less about a hygrometer because I know the beads kept it rock solid. But it sure is nice having a readout on my desk showing me the Rh/temp for 3 sensors! I think it would be pretty nice having one in a couple coolers and a decent size desktop just to see what's going on without having to open them up. So it's totally a personal preference call...
Thanks...That pretty much confirms what I was thinking. I have 3 smaller desktops and a coolidor so I'm going to stick with what I have for now. Once I slide a little further down the slippery slope though and need to go larger I will definitely be going in this direction.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
But, another thing to consider is that these sensors are only $10 each, slightly cheaper if you order as a package. That's cheaper than buying any regular Hygroset or other regular hygrometer.

Rupe

Rating - 100%
404   0   0
In other words I can buy one now and add on the sensors as I grow my collection (as long as I have the right base unit)...Brilliant!!!

Thanks a ton for the advice.