What's new

And another wineador question...

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I have an opportunity to purchase a 48 bottle frigid air wine refrigerator on the cheap. After the hurricane hit it stopped running, no water damage, just stopped running. Here is my question, can I make this into a wineador? Does it have to run for it to work? I can add an oasis, a couple of fans, some beads, and some cedar shelves. The cooler itself is 1 year old, seals tight and is in great looking condition.

I was thinking if it sealed tight I can make the rest work. Any input would be great!

Thanks!

Joey

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
dependant on what the temp is like for you in the summer, and if you are keeping your house at a stable temp or of you let it run hot in the summer, i would say it absolutely could be used! without an operable cooling unit it should basically be a fancy coolerdor; insulated and well-sealing. good luck with it! o)

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
you wont get the cooling capability obviously.. but if its sealing up properly.. and you have a nice cool place to store it.. I think it would do fine...

"on the cheap" is a relative term though...

I see fully functional wine coolers going for anywhere between $20-$150.. ranging from 12 bottle to 48 bottle in size.. all day long around here on craigslist..

depending on the price you are paying.. you might be able to find one that offers temp control as well for the same price..

my wineador is much smaller than the one youre looking at (just a 12 bottle).. but I picked it up, brand new, in the box.. for $20 off of craigslist... someone was given it a year earlier as a Christmas present and had no use for it... I dropped another few bucks in trays from forrest into it.. and some humidification.. and for less money than I paid for my 150 count desktop.. I had a brand new wineador up and running..

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
The cost was 30 bucks off Craigslist. I have been looking for either a humidor cabinet or a wine cooler to convert to a wineador. I have been looking for a couple of months. I was thinking that the wineador might be a fun project.

OK, I know I'm a pain in the a$$ but I have another question. What do most of you guys prefer, a wineador or a cabinet humidor? That is really what I have been fighting with. I have 2 Daniel Marshall humidors and they are packed. I am looking for more storage. I figure I can use the humidors to age my cigars and the cabinet/wineador for my daily use.

Thanks again!

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
I personally like cabinets for the appearance, but wineadors for the cost/storage ratio while still maintaining a nice appearance (unlike cooladors)

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
For $30 I'd be all over that deal... For less than $100 more in investment in trays and humidity and you'll be in business...

Grab some trays from Forrest... He is a member here.. Has excellent prices.. And does great work...

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I am going to grab it tomorrow. When I get it I will post a pic and then make everyone crazy with a thousand questions on what to do next! Thanks for all the good advice!

Rating - 100%
159   0   0
I have an opportunity to purchase a 48 bottle frigid air wine refrigerator on the cheap. After the hurricane hit it stopped running, no water damage, just stopped running. Here is my question, can I make this into a wineador? Does it have to run for it to work? I can add an oasis, a couple of fans, some beads, and some cedar shelves. The cooler itself is 1 year old, seals tight and is in great looking condition.

I was thinking if it sealed tight I can make the rest work. Any input would be great!

Thanks!

Joey
Take a look at my Freezer project in my signature line. Stripped the guts out of the freezer and it sits in my basement. Wonderful amount of storage, but alas it too is filling up.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0

Thanks!

Joey
Take a look at my Freezer project in my signature line. Stripped the guts out of the freezer and it sits in my basement. Wonderful amount of storage, but alas it too is filling up.
Wow Randy! That thing looks awesome! That is what I think I need but on a smaller wine cooler scale (for now at least).

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I picked up my wine cooler this am. When I got there the owner said that the lights work and the motor runs but it just doesn't get cold. I bring it home, plug it in, the light goes on and I leave. I return 2 hours later and the temp is holding steady at 65! It works! So I bought this 1 year old, 42 bottle frigidaire wine cooler for 30 bucks off Craigslist. Now it is time to transform this into my new wineador.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361309738.741332.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361309787.491918.jpg

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I have been going back and forth with Forrest and now I have to decide what size drawers I want. The choice is a 2" drawer or 4" drawers. I was thinking if going with 3 4" drawers and a shelf. Is there any reason to consider the smaller drawers? I have plenty of room in the cooler so space really isn't an issue. Any input would be appreciated.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
the trays I got from Forrest are 2"... I think they are about perfect.. I can stack sticks in the 50-55 RG size two deep and still have plenty of clearance for the next tray (or in your case drawer) to not worry about scraping or damaging the sticks in the tray below.. and having more trays(drawers) of smaller height, as opposed to less trays of taller height gives me more individual compartments for better organization (Ive got all of my "super premiums" in one tray.. all of my "yard gars" in another... all of my "daily smokes" in a couple of trays.. etc..

Rating - 98.7%
91   1   2
Awesome score!!! I have a compressor unit myself. I shut it off, plugged it in and and was still able to use the light.

Later down the road I took the light out and installed a computer fan for some air circulation. I'm sure if you wanted to get crazy you could install the fans and some cool LEd lights.