What's new

Another wineadore build

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
Found a good deal on the NewAir 281e so decided I would Storting my build. After some research I found Forest was the man to build the drawers but I'm the type that can't wait 2+ months for anything. Having a bit of woodworking knowledge and some tools I decided to build my own. The local source only had one huge piece 2"x6"x14' so lots of cutting took place. I'm still trying to decide on what wood to make the drawer fronts out of. For now the drawers are in and coming up to humidity and temp. Thinking I may do one shelf up top to hold boxes. Did some reading up on KL an that's the media I'm starting with. As of now it's sitting unwatered until I read more on what process works best to get it stable. I have a few scrap pieces of cedar do you guys think I should place them in the fridge just to help stability? What hygrometer is recommended?
Now a few pics

Attachments

Agentskull

BoM Feb 14
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Awesome work on your project so far.

As for the scrap pieces of cedar, if your using KL you could make coffins to contain the KL to keep everything uniform.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Lookin good, man!

As for stabilizing the KL, I usually start with the seasoning process. As soon as the wood is fully saturated, I put in the dry KL to absorb the extra rH as bring the rH down to where I want it. That way the KL is also now "seasoned." Add more as necessary until the rH is stable where you want it.

Why would you place scrap Spanish cedar in the fridge?

I prefer the adjustable Xikar hygrometers myself. I change the battery and recalibrate once a year and they're great.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Nice job. I'm impatient as well, but that amounted to me spending the extra 60 bucks to rush the order.

With the scrap, I'd save it for when you need more dividers in the drawers. That or make a shelf to hold a couple boxes up top.

Edit: with regards to hygrometers I use 4 adjustable hygrosets at different levels.

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
I did see he had a rush option but I don't mind building things and paying that fee was not in the cards. I thought the extra cedar would help keep it even more stable? I'm new to all this but posts I have seen people say to add more boxes and what not so thought more couldn't hurt. Are the Xikar only made non adjustable now?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Nice looking drawers. I just decided to go and purchase a fridge to start a wineador as well. I think I will be copying those shelves/drawers, I like the design.

oh and when you mentioned cedar earlier, I assume you meant Spanish cedar and not "regular" cedar? I read that reg cedar odor will creep into your cigars.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I did see he had a rush option but I don't mind building things and paying that fee was not in the cards. I thought the extra cedar would help keep it even more stable? I'm new to all this but posts I have seen people say to add more boxes and what not so thought more couldn't hurt. Are the Xikar only made non adjustable now?
You have a lot of surface area with the drawers. I didn't need anything additional and it was seasoned and stable relatively quickly.

A lot of guys that I've seen throw in empty boxes aren't using that much cedar to begin with. How full can you get it once it's stable? If you are going to have completely empty drawers then maybe use the scrap. If you are ready to fill it then I wouldn't bother.

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
Sounds good ill run it like this and see how it works. The wood is Spanish Cedar. Total build was 53.00 and I have enough to build one more drawer.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sounds good ill run it like this and see how it works. The wood is Spanish Cedar. Total build was 53.00 and I have enough to build one more drawer.
Cool, I figured it was Spanish. So all the drawers/shelves were Spanish cedar? And where did you get it? And did you use stainless steel nails?

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
Local lumber yard had the wood it is all Spanish Cedar. The staples are just the typical staples hope it works I was thinking about stainless when I did it. Guess if they rust I'll build another should be okay for a few years. If not longer?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
With moisture I would really watch out for rust. It would be little but you never know it could taint your smokes. But originally I asked about the stainless because if you had galvanized fasteners in cedar, they stain the wood black.

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
King kill posted the link check it out great looking drawers. I'm a bit worried about the staining but the front will be covered but faces and I don't care if the backs stain. I'm more worried if it will effect the sticks? Thinking I may cover them with some fill just to slow the process.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks good just finished my new air also! I was the same way with mine I ended up building my drawers. I used zinc coated screws on mine and zinc drawer slides that I found others used in many cabinet h umidors I'm not sure what the life will be but honestly I'm in the wood for under 100 and it was fun building them so if worst comes to worst I guess ill have top redo them in a few years and by then ill prob need a bigger one anyway haha

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
And I just purchased a new air as well about an hour ago. Can't wait until I get it! And build some shelves for it.

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
Welcome to the wineadore club rfraser! I'm on day 3 of seasoning and it's just hit 65 humidity. Temp has yet to climb above 63 so I may need to relocate to a warmer part of the house.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Update: my fridge came in Thursday. I have wiped in down with baking soda and now I have about half dozen little dishes with activated charcoal in it running. Hoping to start the seasoning on Sunday night

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
Update. Made some fronts with Spalted Maple. Not sure how it will hold up in the humidity but liked it so why not try. Next up some kind of handles.
Raraser congrats keep us updated. My fridge cleaned up real quick
image.jpg