What's new

Antique humidor question

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Well first it was the cigar bug, now its the humidor bug - the latest motivation for spending money I don't have.

I guess there isn't really any ryhme or reason that I currently need another humidor other than the fact I think a vintage/antique humidor would be a classy and conversation piece.

Really it would probably be both cheaper and easier for me to build my own as it would make the inlay work and asthetic touches I want to add much simpler to begin with (plus I wouldn't have to go about ruining the patina of an antique), but, I've come across many alluring humidors from the past in my recent searches and I don't know how much longer I'll be able to resist the urge to buy one.

That all having been said however is where my question arisies from, an overwhelming majoirty of these old humidors seem to be lined with tin, copper, or another metal and upon scowrering the internet for an answer as to why, I've been unable to find one.

Should I just put down ceder over top of this? Should I remove it? Should I even buy one in the first place?!

Whats a cigar nut in peril to do you? Well ask his fellow brothers, what else!

Ed Monton

Sir Winston
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I've always thought that the tin liner was to hold humidity in the box. I bought a large antique desktop on Ebay last year and lined it with spanish cedar (on the insdie of tin liner). It turned out very well and was very easy to line. I will try to post some pictures tonight.

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Great! That's going to save me allot of work, although I'll probably opt to do a fancy custom inly of my own design. I'll be sure to post pictures when this eventually happens

Ed Monton

Sir Winston
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Here is the inside. I used 3/8" spanish cedar ordered from a place in Ontario. It was very easy to put the liner and tray together. The fit is very tight. I wouldn't be able to get it out now with the wood expanded from the increase in humidity.

Attachments

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I have to admit that is rather classy, I'd definitely like something like that. Ideally I'd like mine to have the sheen of years gone by, that century old patina that gives off hints to its once splendorous appearance only detectable in the subtle hints of the burl where the lacquer still shines. Something that lets you know that after you've carefully picked through your cigars, pouring a drink, and get ready to toast that your about to partake in a ritual thats been held a generations worth over in the midst of this beautiful piece of history.

Last edited: