What's new

Antique Icebox Humidor

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
As luck would have it, my father-in-law was cleaning out his basement and found this antique icebox:

[URL=http://s87.photobucket.com/user/pjw5353/media/Cigar%20Miscellany/bca1e366-6939-470a-837a-8c199951b9df_zpsgf5x0n5m.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s87.photobucket.com/user/pjw5353/media/Cigar%20Miscellany/b54a8dca-7d3c-4c22-88b5-b731edffd7f4_zpsqhwzq6bh.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s87.photobucket.com/user/pjw5353/media/Cigar%20Miscellany/08e8b554-05ad-4de3-a0d2-023c883bf461_zpsaxryxznb.jpg.html][/URL]

I've found a woodworker who specializes in restoring antiques. He is going to convert it to a humidor!!!! I am really excited. I found some older threads and stuff on the web about guys who have done this before. The results looked amazing.

But I have some concerns about the project and was wondering if anyone could offer some advice. First and foremost, how well will a piece like this hold the humidity? How should I ask the woodworker to seal the interior? The piece was at one time an icebox. The seal on the top and front doors seems very sound, even though the piece is over a hundred years old. Is this a project worth the expense? What type of humidification device would work best, passive or active? I want to use the bottom section for aging boxes and the top for cigars soon to be smoked. What is a fair price for having this done? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Cool idea , I been looking for one to do the same thing , have to follow this project ......

My idea was to strip out all the aluminum, replace with Spanish ceder inside and seal the doors air tight with a foam door sealer, and use KL......

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
One of the Brothers did one many years ago, it turned out Great ............

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks, guys. Very encouraging. I am looking forward to the end result. I just wish I had the skills to do it myself. But I found a good master carpenter/woodworker who has converted other antique furniture to humidors. I am just trying to decide whether I should have it wired for an active humidifier. Or just keep to passive, like KL or Heartfelt. More advice would be greatly appreciated. So far the advice above has been very encouraging. Thank you, brothers.

Rating - 94.7%
20   1   0
Man hopefully I'll come across a piece like this soon. My buddy has a cabinet/end table that would be just awesome as a humidor but I don't know if I'll be able to talk him into doing it. He doesn't keep much on hand and his little desktop is all he needs he says

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I'd say it's all a matter of your personal preference. I'd say go with the KL as well. And make sure all the seals are tight and have it lined with Spanish cedar like Brad Mc said a few posts up from mine.

This piece is a beauty and hope it turns out just the way you liked it!!! Keep us posted on further detail as things progress!

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'd say it's all a matter of your personal preference. I'd say go with the KL as well. And make sure all the seals are tight and have it lined with Spanish cedar like Brad Mc said a few posts up from mine.

This piece is a beauty and hope it turns out just the way you liked it!!! Keep us posted on further detail as things progress!
Thanks for the advice. I am definitely leaning towards passive. Might as well keep it as simple as possible. I'll ask the woodworker if he'll keep a photo journal of the project as he goes along with it. The photos will be posted here in this thread. Thanks again for advice.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Thanks for the advice. I am definitely leaning towards passive. Might as well keep it as simple as possible. I'll ask the woodworker if he'll keep a photo journal of the project as he goes along with it. The photos will be posted here in this thread. Thanks again for advice.
It's such a beautiful piece for sure. Hopefully at least the outside can somewhat stay original. I saw something similar at a yard sale last week and I was like this would make a nice humidor if I was handy.

btort

Bob
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
This is a great piece and is going to make a great humidor. Looking forward to seeing the pics. I've been searching garage sales trying to find an old cabinet style end table that I could convert.