What's new

Any suggestions for humidors kept near the ocean?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live approximately 300 yards from the ocean and notice at times the cigar get a little hard during storage. I use Boveda packs, but have been interested in the beads. Any suggestions in keeping the cigar fresh in this environment?

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
The beads are money. I live about 5 miles inland and don't have any issues, of course 300 yards is pretty close. The beads will last longer than a boveda, but the boveda has it's place in any travel humi.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
With a good sealed humidor I am not sure the ocean air would have to do with hard cigars. Hard might point me toward the sticks being dry. What is the RH like where you live? What type of storage are you using, size of the storage, and how many cigars are we talking about? The more information we have the more we can help.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
My only thought is that with ocean air it carries salt with it, and in turn will deposit it in the cigars and beads. Maybe over time it makes the cigars hard, and will clog or cause the beads to work improperly. It's just a theory and I have no experience with this and have never read anything about it.

WhiteLightning

This is WhiteLightning!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
With a good sealed humidor I am not sure the ocean air would have to do with hard cigars. Hard might point me toward the sticks being dry. What is the RH like where you live? What type of storage are you using, size of the storage, and how many cigars are we talking about? The more information we have the more we can help.
I have to agree with Steve. As long as you have a good seal you should be fine.

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Just send the whole set up to me and I will mail you some sticks when you need them. I'm pretty far from the ocean.:peace::smokingbo:innocent::thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I use beads + cigar oasis combo and my sticks have been perfect ever since. I just add more water to the oasis when it drys out and everything seems equalized. At first I had to add water more often because the beads were soaking some up, but now it lasts 2-3 weeks probably.

I should mention, that is during dry winter months. Now that spring is here and summer is coming soon the humidity will be higher and I probably won't have to refill it all summer. We'll see.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just send the whole set up to me and I will mail you some sticks when you need them. I'm pretty far from the ocean.:peace::smokingbo:innocent::thumbsup:
NOW that is funny! Thanks for the suggestions. I will get some beads and try that route. The seal on my humi is good.