What's new

Arlin Liss Humidification Review

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
I've had the new humidification in the humidor for quite some time now, plenty to be able to give a full review on Arlin's system.

The system is run by an electronic controller which powers a RH sensor, two humidifiers and a cross flow or recirculation fan.

Electronic Controller
This is a system that Arlin purchases from an outside source, the controller brand is called Full Gauge which controls the sensor, the control of the humidifier fans and cross flow fan. Arlin installs this in an extruded aluminum housing, does all the wiring with relays to make all the systems work. The controller is adjustable in that you can adjust the desired RH, offset the RH display setting if you feel the built in hygrometer is not accurate along with having total control over the duration of the off/on time of the cross flow fan.

The Controller

The RH Sensor
The sensor is quite simple, plug it in and locate it in a place that you feel gives you the best all around sample of the humidity in your cabinet. Mine is located on the center of the right side wall, half way front to back.

The Humidifiers
These are custom built by Arlin. Originally he'd built one for me that covered basically all of the floor of my humidor. I actually had to remove the doors and hinges to allow enough room to install it. We decided that it was overkill and he built me two new reservoirs in place of the one. The reservoirs are made of 1/4" acrylic which makes it nice to see how much water is in them, mine hold almost two gallons each. Each has a large fan and a moisture outlet on the rear top of the case. The humidity outlet is covered with a plastic flap that closes when the fans are not running, and flip open when they are, very effective. You can see in the pics below that the fans are currently running as the distilled water is moving quite well.

Recirculation or Cross Flow Fan
This tubular fan runs while the humidifiers are on to assist in bringing the humidified air to the top of the cabinet and complete a good airflow throughout. In addition, the recirc fan runs on a schedule as set on the controller which is totally adjustable. Currently mine runs for three minutes, takes a ten minute rest, then on again for three and repeat. A green LED on my controller lets me know when the cross flow fan is running. The pic below shows the fan running but of course my flash makes it look still, but rest assured, this sucker puts out some air.

The Complete Setup (controller not shown as it's on top of the humidor)

My system ran absolutely perfect until the original sensor went bad. I had it set at 65% and my two hygrometers read 65% on top and 66% on the bottom of the humidor, so a 1% variance from top to bottom I thought was total success. From what I was told by Arlin and a gentleman at Full Gauge, there was a programming flaw and a few controllers were effected. During this time, my recirculation fan worked on the timer, but the humidifiers would not run. The problem was conveyed to Arlin who took care of things for me with Full Gauge and after about a month, a new controller was sent to me. Now it needs to be mentioned that the month was not Arlins issue, but rather Full Gauge was re-engineering the controller so the delay was on their part. During this time, a couple pounds of Heartfelts beads worked for me quite well.

Once the new controller arrived, Arlin called me on the phone and walked me through the wiring of the new controller. I mean really talked me through it while I was on the phone, make a connection, pick the phone back up, and do the next. Arlin's customer service is top notch.

The system is running perfectly right now. I have 64% on top and 67% on the bottom, I think with a little tweaking of the timer on the cross flow fan, I'll be able to get things closer to where I want them. Of course I didn't write down what my current timer setting was so I'm guessing at this point. There's a low water sensor on the front of the right humidifier, although I'm not sure it'll ever come on as I can clearly see when the water is low, plus when filled there's a combined total of 4 gallons of distilled water, guessing that's better than a years supply. In addition, each humidifier has two capfulls of a humidifier bacteriostatic treatment in it to help eliminate mold.

The humidification portion of the system kicks on once my sensor reads 64.9% and will shut off at 65%, it is that accurate. Overall I'm totally pleased with the system as a whole. I have a little bit of tidying up of wires to do, but that's just me being lazy and not getting it done.

Although Arlin is no longer making humidors, I know he still has a few of his humidification systems left and I will certainly give them my endorsement (not that that means anything) but they are nice systems for larger humidors.

All this being said, there are several very nice systems out there, Set N Forget, Accumonitor being two of them. Only you will know with research which system will be best for you. I've never seen a Set N Forget in person, but have used the Accumonitor and it's a very solid performer, easy to install and RonC and Matt are also top notch vendors with excellent reputations.

Any questions just hollar!

Wade

Last edited:

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
LOL, it's not a birdhouse, it's a barn! Years ago I bought a box of Maria Mancini De Gualle, not great cigars but I learned to like them. So a few years ago, I think it was CI had a "Barn" of 50 of them, so I bought the damn thing, half are gone, but I've not dipped into it in a couple years.

mcroom

RV Wizard
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
That is one heck of a set up. It look like it would be very effective at catching up if you had the door open for a bit to load, select or unload. Thanks for the Review and photos.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the new humidification in the humidor for quite some time now, plenty to be able to give a full review on Arlin's system.

The system is run by an electronic controller which powers a RH sensor, two humidifiers and a cross flow or recirculation fan.

Electronic Controller
This is a system that Arlin purchases from an outside source, the controller brand is called Full Gauge which controls the sensor, the control of the humidifier fans and cross flow fan. Arlin installs this in an extruded aluminum housing, does all the wiring with relays to make all the systems work. The controller is adjustable in that you can adjust the desired RH, offset the RH display setting if you feel the built in hygrometer is not accurate along with having total control over the duration of the off/on time of the cross flow fan.

The Controller

The RH Sensor
The sensor is quite simple, plug it in and locate it in a place that you feel gives you the best all around sample of the humidity in your cabinet. Mine is located on the center of the right side wall, half way front to back.

The Humidifiers
These are custom built by Arlin. Originally he'd built one for me that covered basically all of the floor of my humidor. I actually had to remove the doors and hinges to allow enough room to install it. We decided that it was overkill and he built me two new reservoirs in place of the one. The reservoirs are made of 1/4" acrylic which makes it nice to see how much water is in them, mine hold almost two gallons each. Each has a large fan and a moisture outlet on the rear top of the case. The humidity outlet is covered with a plastic flap that closes when the fans are not running, and flip open when they are, very effective. You can see in the pics below that the fans are currently running as the distilled water is moving quite well.

Recirculation or Cross Flow Fan
This tubular fan runs while the humidifiers are on to assist in bringing the humidified air to the top of the cabinet and complete a good airflow throughout. In addition, the recirc fan runs on a schedule as set on the controller which is totally adjustable. Currently mine runs for three minutes, takes a ten minute rest, then on again for three and repeat. A green LED on my controller lets me know when the cross flow fan is running. The pic below shows the fan running but of course my flash makes it look still, but rest assured, this sucker puts out some air.

The Complete Setup (controller not shown as it's on top of the humidor)

My system ran absolutely perfect until the original sensor went bad. I had it set at 65% and my two hygrometers read 65% on top and 66% on the bottom of the humidor, so a 1% variance from top to bottom I thought was total success. From what I was told by Arlin and a gentleman at Full Gauge, there was a programming flaw and a few controllers were effected. During this time, my recirculation fan worked on the timer, but the humidifiers would not run. The problem was conveyed to Arlin who took care of things for me with Full Gauge and after about a month, a new controller was sent to me. Now it needs to be mentioned that the month was not Arlins issue, but rather Full Gauge was re-engineering the controller so the delay was on their part. During this time, a couple pounds of Heartfelts beads worked for me quite well.

Once the new controller arrived, Arlin called me on the phone and walked me through the wiring of the new controller. I mean really talked me through it while I was on the phone, make a connection, pick the phone back up, and do the next. Arlin's customer service is top notch.

The system is running perfectly right now. I have 64% on top and 67% on the bottom, I think with a little tweaking of the timer on the cross flow fan, I'll be able to get things closer to where I want them. Of course I didn't write down what my current timer setting was so I'm guessing at this point. There's a low water sensor on the front of the right humidifier, although I'm not sure it'll ever come on as I can clearly see when the water is low, plus when filled there's a combined total of 4 gallons of distilled water, guessing that's better than a years supply. In addition, each humidifier has two capfulls of a humidifier bacteriostatic treatment in it to help eliminate mold.

The humidification portion of the system kicks on once my sensor reads 64.9% and will shut off at 65%, it is that accurate. Overall I'm totally pleased with the system as a whole. I have a little bit of tidying up of wires to do, but that's just me being lazy and not getting it done.

Although Arlin is no longer making humidors, I know he still has a few of his humidification systems left and I will certainly give them my endorsement (not that that means anything) but they are nice systems for larger humidors.

All this being said, there are several very nice systems out there, Set N Forget, Accumonitor being two of them. Only you will know with research which system will be best for you. I've never seen a Set N Forget in person, but have used the Accumonitor and it's a very solid performer, easy to install and RonC and Matt are also top notch vendors with excellent reputations.

Any questions just hollar!

Wade

I like to point out that my controller [FULL GAUGE] is the same supplier of 'Set N Forget' Controller as well.

My controllers come with a 10 year warranty from Full Gauge.

The balancing of the RH was also due to redesign of the interior shelves and drawers I suggested and Wade executed.

I have returned to Humidor building. After being unable to find a decent job [at 61 years of age with 15 years of self employment] and losses trying to 'day trade' I decided to take the part time work I could find and take 'limited' orders going forward.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
You use an Opus X to balance your humidity sensor?! lol Thats when you know that you have too many!

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
You use an Opus X to balance your humidity sensor?! lol Thats when you know that you have too many!
LOL, actually the sensor is attached to the side wall, not sure why those Opus are there, I guess they just fit well on that piece of cedar. Double Corona and a Love Story, kind of their home now.

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
I said the same thing J! I know Wade has an Opi problem...but now it is getting out of control! Cut a damn piece of wood and stick it there...save the opus!

Not need to quote again...I did see the second post...but I was still laughing when I saw the opi's there!

Great set up Wade! I really like it!

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
I said the same thing J! I know Wade has an Opi problem...but now it is getting out of control! Cut a damn piece of wood and stick it there...save the opus!

Not need to quote again...I did see the second post...but I was still laughing when I saw the opi's there!

Great set up Wade! I really like it!
I do have an Opus problem...I don't have enough. :hysterica