What's new

ATTN: Texas residents, I have a question!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
OK, I moved from the east and into the big state of Texas. I am having a tough time to keep my humidor in my house at 70/70.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jeff:smile:

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Well,

To be honest, I think it will be difficult to keep the temp below 70 this time of year (especially with us reaching 106-108 every day here in Dallas). My best recommendation for you would be to get a wine fridge set up or freeze all of your cigars to prevent beetle infestation. I have a desktop unit that holds about 60 cigars and I use a Cigar Oasis Ultra for the humidification. A lot of guys on here are big fans of the beads, but I don't have much background with them.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi,

Yes, I am using beads. Problems is the humidity is too high and the temp too. I thought as a last ditch effort would be getting a wine cooler and converting it.

Jeff (Austin and triple digits here!):computer:

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Not in Texas, but believe the problem is the heat & humidity outside. My humidor reached about 77% a few days str8, I had to open the door a few times to bring it down. Threw the AC on to cool things down which helps.

BrooksW

BoM June '09
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
I use all wine coolers (7 of them now...sigh) and keep the house at a pleasant 62 degrees...while the temp in the coolers gets to 70, it is not a big deal (in the summer) and the humidity rarely goes above 65% (and is sometimes 60% which is fine)...

But, I use A LOT of beads, and have not had a problem...how much of the beads are you using?

~brooks

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sounds like I'll be buying and converting a wine cooler to control the temp and humidity. Checking stores, anyone hear of good deals out there?

Thanks for your help!

Jeff

SPH

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have the EdgeStar 28 (it is FULL) with 2 lbs of 65% beads.
The temp setting is the highest it will go,everything is consistant at 60 deg and HM is 65%.

Sean

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well, I bought an Avanti 28 bottle coolidor, ordered 2 pounds of 65% beads, ordered a ETC and just put in activated carbon to get the stink out. Will keep you posted on the progress of the project!:bottle:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Dog. I have the same exact unit for about 4 months now. I couldnt be happier.
2lbs of 65rh beads. activated charcoal (6 days) got the smell out. I left mine unplugged to have the condensation drip out of the basin, but have a plug incase. I keep my stogies in cigar boxes to keep a secondary environment and have 2 drawers on order, both closed bottom with glass tops.

Rock solid at 65rh at 70degrees. I still find it best to dry box the sticks for a day or so before smoking. I like the beads in a tray not in mesh baggies.

ambient conditions have been brutle in NYC this season with really high humidity levels and the cooler has been really good. Hope that helps.

Cheers

Last edited: