What's new

Avanti 28 bottle wine fridge

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to figure out why when I turn the fridge on the humidity drops, I have 4 lbs of beads in it. I would like to run the fridge so keep the cigars at 70F but it seems to be a pain as the RH drops to 50%.
I have looked on the net and nothing definitive, i am not sure where the drain plug is, there is a small hole in the bottom which I have plugged but not sure if thats the only vent to block.

mcroom

RV Wizard
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Is this a compressor type refrigerator? If it is, the evaporator will condense any moisture in the box; reducing RH. The more desired type of unit is the thermoelectric technology. The evaporator is not as cold and therefore does not condense the moist so quickly. Make sure the unit is not in direct sunlight or near any heat source. I have the Avallo Accumonitor humidification system in a Vinotemp thermoelectric unit and am rock solid at 60 degrees and 65% RH.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
What's the temp in your house? I'm having problems with my house being too hot so the unit is working harder to keep cool. I'm getting a lot of condensation and since the plug is covered the water is puddling on the bottom.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
OP- the guys above have the right advice regarding it being a condenser. If it is thermoelectric then it doesn't make much sense for the RH to drop when it kicks on as it should have no real effect on RH.

Jesse- a lot of people say to plug the drainage hole. I had the same problem as you so I left it open and that fixed the problem of the RH getting to hi.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I have a similar situation with mine; my thought was that even though it's thermoelectric, it's cycling air. Pulling out the humidified air and putting in colder air that hasn't been exposed to your humidifier yet. Maybe?

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
The colder the air in the wine cooler the more humidity is going to drop. It will rebound after the desired temp is reached. Make sure your beads are clear and the humidity will rebalance and rise.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
OP- the guys above have the right advice regarding it being a condenser. If it is thermoelectric then it doesn't make much sense for the RH to drop when it kicks on as it should have no real effect on RH.

Jesse- a lot of people say to plug the drainage hole. I had the same problem as you so I left it open and that fixed the problem of the RH getting to hi.
Yeah, that's what I'm going to work on today and try it out. I have another idea that I'm going to try if it doesn't work out.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the avanti has a small hole in the bottom, i am blocking it and

Avanti 28 bottle model number swc2801 is the type. i cant put a link to it

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have this issue too on my thermoelectric model. Someone once explained it like this, "My personal theory is that the movement of air prevents the sensor from reading the rh properly, so it's not that the rh actually bounces back, it's that the sensor does. One possibility is that the difference in temp between the air and the sensor is what causes the reading." I liked his theory and that's what I have chosen to believe lol.

EDIT: yea a compressor model will do that...best of luck.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
I had problems too until I removed the drain plug. Use the drain like it's meant so you don't get standing water and use plenty of beads.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
So a little update on my end, removed the silicone on the drain plug to let the cooler drain and now I'm steady at about 72*. I'm okay with that but my RH is still at 50% and I can't get it to go back up. Thoughts?

Right now I have 2 65% and 1 75% boveda packs in there, about a pound and half of KL and beads that came with the cooler. I even added a damp sponge with DW inside to help raise the RH but no luck yet. Working on adding some more fan in this weekend to help circulate the air inside. Pulled them out of an old computer yesterday.