What's new

Avanti humidity at 65% B 60% T

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
My avanti stays right where I want it at 60% up top (1 lb of beads, 1/2 up top, 1/2 on the bottom) and 65% on the bottom.... both hygros are calibrated, and if I put them both together they read the same...

Why is this thing staying at 65% at the bottom? I though humidity rises?
and why dont the beads keep it at 60% everywhere?

I got an oust fan coming also.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Running into the same problem. I use a Cigar Oasis II XL (remote digital readout) and another digital one too. XL is on the bottom shelf and the XL remote reads 77%. Digital stand alone reads 62% at the top, about a 4 foot separation. If I move the stand alone down a shelf at a time, the humidity goes up at each point until I reach the bottom ... reads 70%. Pretty sure the XL is off a little.

I did some checking with the XL company and they said the same thing about fans ... I need some to spread the humidty around - arrived today. According to what I'm finding, humidty is higher at the bottom vice the top though.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I just got new hygros and calibtated them too. Mine is not Avanti, but also sits 5% difference top to bottom. like 67% low and the top is about 62%. I have my kitty litteron the bottom, and oust fan that blows across it, and another oust fan on the top shelf. Am I doing this right?

swat253

CRA Member #206760
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Think it might have something to do with where the factory fans and wall vents are located?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a small PC fan in my Avanti, and now the Avanti cycles the built in fan every minute or two, but the humidity is pretty even between top and bottom. Or maybe the whole cooling unit is coming on and off, which is not a good thing. So, when time allows I will re-direct the PC fan across the interior instead of straight up along the front to see if the airflow is maybe crossing a sensor causing the frequent cycling that started right after the fan install.
Also noticed a bit of condensation in the "drain" area, just like my compressor wine fridges (2 Haiers) produced. This kinda surprised me, as I expected the thermoelectric system to be "dryer" than the compressor type due to lack of cooling plate.
Hmmmm...

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
the condensation is the humidity that you have in there condensing as the air cools... nothing to do with the cooling unit type

kmckinn3

Learning from the best
Rating - 100%
117   0   1
My avanti stays right where I want it at 60% up top (1 lb of beads, 1/2 up top, 1/2 on the bottom) and 65% on the bottom.... both hygros are calibrated, and if I put them both together they read the same...

Why is this thing staying at 65% at the bottom? I though humidity rises?
and why dont the beads keep it at 60% everywhere?

I got an oust fan coming also.
Most of the time (depending on temp), humid air will sink. This is why most people keep their cc's at the top and nc's at the bottom since cc's do a bit better in lower RH.

rick12string

Caught in the Crossfire
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I've have the same problem with a desktop with a tray. The humidiy above the tray is around 62% while below the tray it's at 65%. There is sufficient air flow and I have beads on the tray and below it. As far as I know and have always read and been told, humid air rises. I too would be interested in getting to the bottom of this.

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
So we all know that humid air is less dense than dry air, which means it should be at the top of the humidor, rather than the bottom. But I wonder if temperature, and heating of the air, takes precedence. It would take more to heat the humid air, and less energy to heat the dry air. Since hot air rises, this could lead to the slightly cooler, humid air falling below the slightly warmer, dry air.

Just a thought.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Danilo, I thought the condensation formed on the cooling plate, and without the plate the amount would be negligable. But ya learn something every day. Thanks man.

Kockroach...I believe humid air is more dense than dry air, hence the RH is higher at the bottom of the storage unit, unless one stirs the air.

Cheers