What's new

Beads color question????

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I've heard it is thenoils from the cedar and the cigars soaking in. I hear it does not affect the function of the beads. I'm sure the experts will show up soon enough, and give us the correct answer.

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Dave's post actually makes perfect sense to me; especially if it is the beads absorbing the oils from the tobacco (though I'd be quite certain it takes a tad long time).

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
My 65% beads are getting a little off color ......light light tan...:scratchhe Is this normal?
I have some that did the same thing, I moved them to one of the older desktop humi that I have (I was thinking maybe has something to do with a new humi and breaking it in "seasoning") , and all is good, no problems RH......

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Your beads are fine, I don't know why they turn color but I'm still using stained beads 4 or 5 years later with no change in performance. I used to think it was bleeding from the pantyhose they were in, but I've had them turn color in white mesh bags as well.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
i've got a bunch of beads that are in shot glasses and the ones that have been in use the longest are yellowish. I assume that whatever is turning them that color is the same thing that turns cello yellow. the cedar maybe?

I'd have to lean against it being the oils from the cigars, as the beads are not in contact with the cigars and oil doesn't have the ability to change phases from a liquid to a gaseous state so it can migrate to the beads themselves, or at least not at the ambient conditions of 70 deg F and 65% RH. but what do i know??? just my .02

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
or better yet, maybe it's some of the fake maduro coloring used on some of my fake maduros!!!!

Viper139

The Bead Man
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
The beads will be just fine. What is happening is the beads are absorbing gases and oils given off by both the cigars as they age and the spanish cedar in your humidor. The beads will continue to work just fine, I have a few pounds that are almost chocolate brown and they still work great.