What's new

Beads Smell?

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Hey guys, interesting question here.

I used to keep my beads in pantyhose and just mist them with a spray bottle and set the bags on the shelves directly. I recently took the beads out of the pantyhose and put them in glad containers spread out throughout my cabinet. I noticed the beads were almost all dark brown in color, which I figured was from the direct contact with the wood. But ever since I put them in the glad containers there has been a stench coming from the beads. I don't know how to describe it, but my whole cabinet went from smelling like spanish cedar to now having this ridiculous stench. I know it's not the glad plastic for sure. It's definitely a strong smell directly coming from the beads.

Anyone else ever experience this?

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
What colour pantyhose were you using? the beads may have picked up the colour of the dye used in the pantyhose.. which would make this a first and may explain your predicament. Other than that I'm sure you've been using distilled water only so it probably rules out any minerals/chemicals,etc. contained in the water. May be some other more knowledgeable brothers here can help you out.

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I have had off color beads for years and they do emit a chemical smell after misting lasting for a couple of hours. No harm to the sticks as quite a few here can attest to.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I have had off color beads for years and they do emit a chemical smell after misting lasting for a couple of hours. No harm to the sticks as quite a few here can attest to.
Yep. I have to agree with that.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Yeah, a chemical smell is how I'd explain it. I never noticed it before, not sure why. Now it's extremely strong. I guess I won't worry about it. Thanks Ken.

Altercall

I beat you all May '08 :)
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
I always thought the color change was due to the exchange of moisture between the sticks and the beads. The beads that I make sure to keep hydrated have stayed white, while the ones I don't check as much have changed to a yellow/brown.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Well I left a whole container sit outside the cabinet overnight and today they still smell very strongly. They have a wood smell to them, but some kind of chemical smell too. I currently am baking the whole lot at 225 degrees in the oven. I'm going to bake them white and start over. How weird.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
This came up fairly recently, and many Bros said that they've used dark brown colored beads for years with no problems. I had some turn brown as well. As long as you inspect them and they're not fuzzy (i.e. mold) then you're good to go!

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Personally I've never understood the putting them in nylons thing, but that's just my .02. From what Viper has said, their most effective when you have as large of a surface area possible. So spreading them out in a flat Tupperware type container not only provides a lot of surface area, but it allows you to see what % are opaque vs white.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
This came up fairly recently, and many Bros said that they've used dark brown colored beads for years with no problems. I had some turn brown as well. As long as you inspect them and they're not fuzzy (i.e. mold) then you're good to go!
It wasn't the color I was worried about, it's the strong chemical smell that isn't going away that concerned me. But they're in the oven as we speak and it looks like I should be good to go in about an hour...the color is actually baking out too because the ones that have dried out are back to white.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
It wasn't the color I was worried about, it's the strong chemical smell that isn't going away that concerned me. But they're in the oven as we speak and it looks like I should be good to go in about an hour...the color is actually baking out too because the ones that have dried out are back to white.
Very interesting, where did you get the idea to bake the beads? I'd have never thought of that.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Personally I've never understood the putting them in nylons thing, but that's just my .02. From what Viper has said, their most effective when you have as large of a surface area possible. So spreading them out in a flat Tupperware type container not only provides a lot of surface area, but it allows you to see what % are opaque vs white.
Great points Wade. I started doing it when I first got into the hobby and just kept carrying out the habit. But it really is a less effective way to use them, and I've realized that for a while. I guess I was just too lazy to change.

Benzopyrene

BoM June 08
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Yeah definately didnt know you could bake them. Mine smell a little funny, but its like a mxture between tobacco and plastic so.... it doesnt really bother me to much.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
OK, they actually smell pretty good, lots of cedar smell, and a neat sweetness. However it should be stated that I've not added water to my beads in over a year. I have the Avallo Accumonitor in my cabinet and the beads I had before in my smaller humidor and I just transferred them to the larger cause I had them. I figured they were there just to help maintain and absorb in case I got to moist or something. Probably don't really even need them in there.