What's new

Been gone too long, been swamped ... having some RH problems.

Coolhand

Resident River Rat
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Hey guys. Still alive! ;)

My big humi has gotten very dry. Been adding water to the beads but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Worried that the sticks are much too dry. I've just changed out one 8-oz. bag of beads with new ones (didn't think the old ones would be expired yet but I'm getting a bit desperate) and added two water pillows to try and put some humidity back in. My hygrometer's battery just crapped out, too, so I have to get it replaced.

Several of the cigars feel VERY dry ... how long may it take for them to get re-conditioned? I'm ordering another humidor to replace the glass-top that I have (thing never did work very well), so I will have a supply to smoke from; if I have to leave the thing shut for a good while to redistribute the humidity I can do that. Any suggestions?

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Welcome back!

I suggest GETTING THE CIGARS OUTOF THERE. Then re-season the humi on it's own and try to re-humidify slowly the cigars in something sealed that will not steal RH (like a tupperware).

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Follow Alfonso's advice until you can get your main humidor straightened out.

According to David from Heartfelt Ind.....

One good point to remember is humidification beads have an indefinite life span. There is nothing to wear out and all that is needed to maintain them is either the addition of distilled water or the drying out of the beads if they become water logged.

If you used anything other than distilled water on them you may have damaged them too.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Put your sticks in a big baggie with the beads and fix the humi. Look for leaks. Do the dollar bill test or light test or both. SOunds like a leak dude.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
"I'm ordering another humidor to replace the glass-top that I have (thing never did work very well)"

I'm with you there my brother, never have cared for the glass-top humi's, they might look nice but, glass is pourous!

Coolhand

Resident River Rat
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Is a baggie superior to tuppers? It's going to take a few of either - it's a 500 count! :/

Will have to buy an extra - I'm going to need something to smoke while the current crop gets reacquainted with moisture!

I am absolutely holding everyone here to a Mexico or Colorado fishing trip next year, by the way. The economy will be back.

Trust me.

:blob:

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
"Is a baggie superior to tuppers?"

Smaller area than tuppers would allow for a quicker recovery time, don't use an Viper Beads higher than 65% though, just my opinion.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
im going through the same stuff with my desktop humi.. i thought it was the beads too but according to david thats not it.. all my cigars not in cello dried up pretty good

Coolhand

Resident River Rat
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Got myself 8 ziploc bags within tupperwares full of cigars each with a water pillow or beads in each one. I put a big bowl of water in the humi to see what it shows the RH at after getting a new battery for my hygro (357 size batteries are hard to find!) ... we'll see what it says. I'm going to search for leaks before I put the stogies back in of course.