What's new

Boveda life expectancy

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I understand the Boveda's are two way. Here in Jersey I expect them to release moisture in the winter, and absorb in the summer.

A while back after a delivery from NHC, I tosses the Boveda in an unused humidor and it dried out. I took the dried out Boveda and threw it in a canster with distilled water. The canister is effectively 100%rh, so the Boveda recharged and is full of liquid.

How long will the Boveda's last, and what causes them to no longer work?

Thanks,
Ken

sportsmedjosh

CRA Member: 211528
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I think the answer your looking for is multifactorial, I would say seal, RH, and temp are three big issues that would effect the life of a boveda packet.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
hmmm...I have a couple Bovedas that have gotten really hard and "crunchy," do they need more water or are they just dead? I usually use water pillows, so I'm not that familiar with Boveda. (sorry for the semi-threadjack!).

Hardcore

BoM April '09
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
I asked Ron a week or so ago about when a Boveda turns hard. He said that means it's time to change it. I'm pretty sure the life expectancy is printed on them somewhere.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Thread Jack much?

lol, that was priceless!!

I'm pretty sure that Bovedas do have a definite lifespan, as opposed to beads. So if my packs are hard and that means they're dead...then I'm guessing the answer to the OPs question is "You'll know when they're dead because they get super hard and won't recharge."

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supposedly they are not re-chargeable. However I have been able to make them last months longer than they are supposed to last by placing them in a sealed container (tupperware) that has distilled water in it. Do not let the packet touch the water. After a few days the packet will re-charge.

I think that once they get completely hard and crunchy they will not absorb water anymore. I don't know this for sure because I haven't let one get to that point yet.

Good luck.

LOL, after re-reading all that, I guess I didn't really answer the question.

There has to be some sort of chemical in the packet which allows the 2 way transfer of the water so it's probably the residue of the chemical that makes the packet crunchy after they get dry.

I do have a crunchy one that I will try to rehydrate and we'll see I guess.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Mine was crunchy and I rehydrated it. It's in the cigar caddy with my hygrometers to see how the humidity is compared to the label.

I rehydrated in a canister with distilled water on the bottom. It's how I rehydrrate my beads also.

Ok, new addition, the hygrometers are reading about 80%, so I'd say this has not worked as planned. Oh well.

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
I asked Ron a week or so ago about when a Boveda turns hard. He said that means it's time to change it. I'm pretty sure the life expectancy is printed on them somewhere.
I use these in 4 desktops, I get them mail ordered ever 2 month, I have had some of these last as long as 5 month , but most last 3 month at least in Northern MN, lets see how they do in SC..........

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
this is direct from humidipack. they can be recharged. but after some time, the packaging will lose its ability to transfer humidity. so use them till they get a little dry, then recharge. if recharging does not work, chuck them