What's new

Boveda packs

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Looks like Boveda has a new product (similar to beads) to regulate humidity.

Has anyone tried them yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
my brother and B&M swear by them. I just bought a couple (69%) for a small coolidor I'm making - I'll let know how it goes. My humidor is too big that the Bovedas wouldn't work.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I haven't been smoking cigars long, but I feel like Boveda packets have been out for a while? I started to use them in my humidor about a month ago, and haven't looked back since. No more worrying about the changes in humidity. Stays constant to the RH listed on the packet. I'm using 69%, and both my humidors are reading approx 68-69%.

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Seasoning my 50 count with 3 84% Bovedas now and will keep 1 or 2 65% in it after the next 12 days I am on day 2 now.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Okay, so I guess these arent new! Just read the review quickly on my lunch break, and assumed that they were. Seems like a great product.

Rating - 92.3%
24   2   0
Have you guys tried recharging them? I have a few, and after I rotate them out I put them in a ziplock with all of my amassed water pillows, mini bovedas and gel ziplocks, and after a few weeks they are filled and fully recharged. I'm not trying to be cheap, but I decided to experiment and it worked. I have 72s right now and I think I will go lower to 62 or 65.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Seasoning my 50 count with 3 84% Bovedas now and will keep 1 or 2 65% in it after the next 12 days I am on day 2 now.
3 84's is is complete overkill in a fifty count, 1 will do fine, it's not like the more you put in the better the humidity gets... Refilling them is fine, put a sharpie mark on the edge of the packet each time you recharge it so you'll know it's lifetime.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
They just changed color on the packs.

Been running and recharging 62's for a couple years now..
Yup, the larger ones are prob going to slowly replace the oasis type units as they take less space. Humis like the Savoy models have already been using them, having slots on the lid as opposed to the magnet or velcro for the larger units. G1

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I have a 20qt sterilite airtight locking top container. After seasoning 4 empty cigar boxes for trays put 1 Boveda 69% and has been rock solid with about 50 cigars. Boveda website recommends 1 Boveda pack per 75 to 150 cigars in a tupperdore type container. For desktops they recommend 1 pack for the humidor and 1 pack per every 25 cigars. 50 count desktop would need 3. I haven't tried them in my desktop yet though to see if you can get by with less.

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Can you just lay them on the bottom and stack cigars on top or will I have them looking all awkward in the side of my Humi

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Cigars could rest on them or touch them. Youtube Boveda and you would come up with a few vids. Boveda also has video on their website regarding use. I tried beads but I'm really happy with the Boveda. "Fire and Forget" type of situation

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Can you just lay them on the bottom and stack cigars on top or will I have them looking all awkward in the side of my Humi
BTW; they are thin enough to put your divider all way to the side and have them in a small narrow area. Besides, who cares what the inside of the humi looks like as long as your sticks are kept rock solid at your desired RH? Who else is looking beside you anyway? There is also a cedar holder that mounts on the lid interior.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
For those of you interested in recharging - our brother Jfire has put together an awesome series, and this segment deals with recharging:
REHYDRATING HUMIDIPACKS
[video=youtube;b7QLwjlt8uw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7QLwjlt8uw&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I'd recommend not putting your cigars flat against them. I know Boveda says it's fine, but I can't help thinking that moisture leaving the bag directly onto the wrapper of the cigar is a good thing, and in my own experience it does leave the cigar that was touching the bag a little wet with burn problems.

Also, beware of heat. (IE leaving one in your Herfador on the seat of your car). It'll cause high humidity that'll make your cigars taste bitter. (Well, the heat'll do that too, but yeah...)

I recharge mine for about a year, then get new ones. Make sure to recharge them before they're fully dry - once they hit the brittle point, I find that they don't fully reconstitute. I just put mine in an empty glass jar with a shot-glass of distilled water. A few days later it's fully recharged and ready to go!

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I'd recommend not putting your cigars flat against them. I know Boveda says it's fine, but I can't help thinking that moisture leaving the bag directly onto the wrapper of the cigar is a good thing, and in my own experience it does leave the cigar that was touching the bag a little wet with burn problems.

Also, beware of heat. (IE leaving one in your Herfador on the seat of your car). It'll cause high humidity that'll make your cigars taste bitter. (Well, the heat'll do that too, but yeah...)

I recharge mine for about a year, then get new ones. Make sure to recharge them before they're fully dry - once they hit the brittle point, I find that they don't fully reconstitute. I just put mine in an empty glass jar with a shot-glass of distilled water. A few days later it's fully recharged and ready to go!
I agree. If I use a ziplock for a traveldor I put the Boveda in a smaller ziplock sandwich bag unzipped in the larger ziplock with the cigars.