What's new

Boveda vs Heartfelt

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used HF beads for while in my tupperdor. My only problem is that it takes time for them to get to the sweet spot in humidity. Right after recharge humidity is little high, and low right before. I'm thinking if switching to Boveda or Xikar for a more consistent humidity all the time. Anyone use both or all, and what are the pros and cons?

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I use a combination of heartfelt and boveda in my humidors with extras to rotate in and out when time to recharge them. The con to this system is it's a bit expensive and more time consuming making sure you always have the next set of beads/bovedas recharged and ready when time to switch. I assume your recharging your beads by spritzing them with water then putting them back in the tupperdor. You could buy extra beads so that you can have extra to keep in rotation. this way you'll always have recharged beads to swap out before the rh drops. also a slight increase or decrease for a day or two wont really hurt your sticks as long as it remains steady for the rest of the time.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about buying extra beads, which is why I'm asking this question now. I'm wondering if I should just buy boveda or xikar. Due to the airtight seal, my humidity stays higher for a couple weeks, only about 2% above, but still. I kind of like the idea of the worry free boveda or xikar products, just open them and your good to go.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
It's basically going to come down to with what works best for you. bovedas work great but in the long run they do cost more because although they can be re-hydrated it only works as long as they don't get too dry on once they get crunchy got to toss em. I tried the xikar gel for a while while they claim it holds 70%rh it actually varies. In my old 100ct humidor it actually held around 68% while in the tupperdor the rh was 71% the way i brought it down was adding more cedar to the tupperdor. in the end i ditched the xikar cause it doesn't absorb just release RH.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for help guys. I think, due to inexpensive cost of a boveda packet, I'll give them a shot. If I don't like it, I'm only out a few bucks and then can buy more HF beads.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im having the same problem with HF. I have 65% beads, my Rh dropped to 63, I recharged, now its up to 68% in one humi, 66% in another, and 71 in my cooler!!!! I might have over saturated the cooler beads, but Im just gonna let it drop on its own. If it doesnt within a couple days, im gonna throw some 69% Boveda packs in. This hobby is very time consuming !!!!!! Worse than taking care of kids.

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
I use both 65 beads and 65/69 bovedas and just recharge the 1-2 69 bovedas on a rotating basis and stay right on 65-66

I figure the heartfelt and 65 boveda absorb that tiny bit of extra humidy but keeps me from adding too much

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I know this thread is kind of old but it's a good topic so I figured I'd add my 2 cents. I'm currently using 70% RH HF's in my 150 ct. and 65% RH HF's in my 50 ct. I used to use Boveda packs and then switched to HF beads, but the cedar smell is just not there. I'm thinking of switching back, but I'm not sure got a good bit of $ invested into he HF's at this point. Please let me know if you have any recent updates on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I have recently started switching over to boveda. Long story short i notice the same thing whenever i recharge my beads.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed this. I posted a new thread on my conversion. I'm a little concerned about my choice of magnets though. Man I'm so bad at this forum bit so I don't know how to link the new thread, but hopefully it trends and is easy to find. Nevermind I think this link will do it:
http://www.botl.org/threads/switching-from-hfs-to-boveda-help-with-magnets.90902/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I cant wait for my new humidor. Then this will be a thing of the past for me. Set it and forget it. I may just set it at 66% and leave several 65% boveda bags in there for emergency, and or just recharge for my desktops or something.