What's new

Building a humidor?

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I posted a thread recently about acquiring an antique humidor but I've since decided that I'd get more satisfaction out of building my own but I wanted to ask those here in the know what I'm getting my self into before I dive head first into this.

I've plenty of experience building decks, fences, arbors etc. so I'm no stranger to woodworking but I'm not as familiar in the area of fine craftsmanship that would be seen in a humidor... Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
There are several good articles on the web about humidor construction. American Woodworker, Popular Mechanics, Fine Woodworking all have done articles on humidor construction and the articles are on the internet. Do a google search on building a humidor or humidor plans and they will pop up in the list, also several of the sites offering free woodworking plans have links to them.

The last one I built was nothing fancy, the basic box was constructed out of popular with birch ply for the bottom and oak ply for the top. I used basic woodworking joints, rabbits, grooves and datos all done on the table saw.

The biggest thing to make sure is that the basic box is square and level and your joints are tight.

Hope you give it a try.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you go to my website, there is a build of my first desk top. The good, the bad, the ugly. No editing. It does however, show my mistakes and my fixes. Let me know if I can be of any help. I use to be a framer many years ago and did all you described above. This should be a piece of cake for you. My website is www.humidorminister.com Good luck and remember, it all about removing just the right amount of sawdust.:clap:

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
If you go to my website, there is a build of my first desk top. The good, the bad, the ugly. No editing. It does however, show my mistakes and my fixes. Let me know if I can be of any help. I use to be a framer many years ago and did all you described above. This should be a piece of cake for you. My website is www.humidorminister.com Good luck and remember, it all about removing just the right amount of sawdust.:clap:

Those are beautiful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rating - 98%
61   1   1
Bill knows how to do it right. His humidorminister website is inspiring.

You don't need a ton of tools to make a great product. The most important tools are the tablesaw, and a router(table). You can make some beautiful stuff with those two power tools, a good stack of sandpaper, and a chisel!

Good luck and have fun!

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Thanks guys, Mike definitely wasn't kidding, one look at Bill's website and I'm alraedy resisting the urge to start ordering would from far and away exotic places haha. Unfortunately I Think this will have to wait until the summer when school is finished and I have a little more time and money to throw at something like this.