What's new

Built a thermo humi last month!

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
Built a cabinet humidor, thought I’d share some pics.
I can't figure out how to get the pics up here in with the text, but they should show up in order so the descriptions still match

I used an existing piece of bedroom furniture, so it’s an exact match for the room. I found a thermoelectric cooling unit off eBay very cheap. It was designed to cool electronics and was way too loud until I added a rheostat to the exterior fan to slow it down and is OK now, still has plenty of cooling capacity if I ever need it. First picture is from back showing where humidor will go.

I started by removing the thin back and adding a frame that would hold the tight sealing doors in the front. The existing doors are worthless for getting a good seal, so I decided to build a second set of doors inside the outer ones. Second picture is from back showing new frame that sits behind existing doors and I’ve started to insulate the top with foam.

All sides, top, bottom and doors got ¾ inch foam, thick plastic for a moisture barrier, thin ply and then I glued ¼ inch Spanish Cedar as a liner. Picture below shows plastic laid over foam insulation with thin ply ready to get nailed down. I used some standard cedar to build the frame and such, but Spanish cear covers all of it up.

Next picure is the thermoelectric unit I got and the housing I built for it. Picture is of the front of the unit that circulates air inside the humidor, a second fan in the back will blow hot air from the unit outside the humidor.

Next picture shows back of humidor with cooling unit installed.

Next picture from the front showing new tight sealing door built to match frame and support wood attached to original door that it will get attached too.

New doors are glued to existing doors.

Finished cabinet, it seals very tight, steady temperature and humidity. It has a shelf that you can barely see the bottom of in this picture, shelf has enough height and width for about six boxes up there. Shown with a few hundred sticks in cedar trays in the bottom, I think it will hold in the 400-600 large cigars max. No cigarillo's in this calculation! You can see the cooling unit far bottom right with an oasis humidifier in front of it.

Cooling unit, about $100 bucks shipped,
Foam, plastic, basic lumber about $60 bucks,
Spanish Cedar about $170 bucks,
No more nightmares about bettles... priceless!

The unwanted visitors got 9 very choice sticks from me. I know I was lucky, I can even smoke those, but never want to go through that again.

Attachments

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have to ask about the beetles. Did they hatch because it was hot and moist over an extended time? Or did they hatch from a spike in temp and RH over a day or two?

I am wondering, because we just recently went thru a hot spell where my RH and temp spiked for 3-4 days. I hadn't been too worried about it until now.

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
You ask
"So, I have to ask about the beetles. Did they hatch because it was hot and moist over an extended time? Or did they hatch from a spike in temp and RH over a day or two?

I am wondering, because we just recently went thru a hot spell where my RH and temp spiked for 3-4 days. I hadn't been too worried about it until now."

I answer: We tiled, painted etc. the master bedroom last December and when we did we ripped out the existing blinds and ordered new ones that would take time to come in special order.

I think the cause was direct sun hitting the cabinet where they were kept and temperatures creeping up into the upper 70's to lower 80's for an hour or so in the evenings even though we keep AC on that side of the house cool. I had rationalized to myself that since it was for such short times I'd be OK. I found holes about a month after we removed the blinds. I now have both a cooling unit and new blinds installed, but HUGE lesson, watch where the sun hits, it can make quite a difference even in a cool room.

Great lesson on freezing cigars though, use the vacuum zip lock bags from Reynolds and suck all the air out with the little machine they give you. I did two weeks in a deep freezer, few days in a fridge, a few days in the humi with bag still sealed, then cracked the bags and let them slowly settle for a week before taking them out of the bags. I didn't have a single split rapper this way and froze over 300 cigars.

Only cigars I didn't freeze were in their own sealed wood boxes or tubes.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
That's sweet Mitch.

Do you have any more info on the cooling unit you got from ebay? I was thinking about doing this same thing to an antique icebox. Already insulated, so I think I'd just have to throw the cooling unit and some spanish cedar in it, eh.

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
That's sweet Mitch.

Do you have any more info on the cooling unit you got from ebay? I was thinking about doing this same thing to an antique icebox. Already insulated, so I think I'd just have to throw the cooling unit and some spanish cedar in it, eh.

Got it from an outfit that sells whatever gets lost in shipping for whatever they can recover. Their description wasn't good and I wouldn't of bid on it if I hadn't blown up their picture and compaired it to the company that made it's sight to figure out what they had. They listed it as a 24volt unit but the picture showed the 110volt power pack. EIC, the company that makes them, sells what I got for almost $1000 bucks. I got mine for about $60 plus shipping. It came with a heavy cabinet attached so about $100 bucks shipped.

I stumbled across it because of a saved search looking for "thermoelectric" and browsing the long list each day.

Good Luck.