What's new

Cabinets with Glass: Bad for Cigars?

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Mine works great, however UV isn't an issue in the basement. Came with three of the rectangular humidifiers and I changed them over to the floral beads I use for humidity control. Only have one in there at a time and it sits at a constant 66-67 rh and lasts 3-4 months before I switch out the humidifier for a charged one and recharge.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
You don't want sunlight to shine on a humidor with glass for 2 reasons. First, the sunlight can fade a cigar wrapper and rob it of oils and secondly sunlight can cause a greenhouse effect in you humidor raising the temperature.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Glass is another area where the seal can be compromised, so it's just another area that you need to watch out for if you have trouble maintaining humidity in the unit.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
craig and aaron have solid points. then again, if glass cabs were strictly bad for cigars, you wouldn't see large windows and glass doors in walk-in's at B&M's, right?

like any other storage solution, you are looking for close and reliable seals, and temperature control be it active or passive. if it WORKS, and you also get to stare at your stash without opening it, more the better.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I dont think I would want the glass door of my cabinet facing direct sunlight all day....

but I've had zero problems with my cabinet in my office..

the cabinet rests against a wall, a couple of feet from a window (facing into the room, the same direction that sunlight comes in)... no direct sunlight hits it...

Ive had no issues with temp changes/control.. no issues with humidity spikes/drops... etc.. either... keeps just as steady as my desktop and cooler ever did...

the only thing Ive owned that provided a more stable temp/RH environment was my wineador..

Rating - 100%
144   0   0
The two doors of my cab are essentially all glass, the cabinet is out of direct sunlight and ive had no issues with it, and love to be able to look over and see my stash without opening the cab.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
I don't know why anyone would leave anything important or valuable sitting directly in the sun. The sun ruins everything over time. Even a cabinet without glass doors will eventually get ruined because the sun will fade the stain, given enough time. I would think that this would just be common sense when selecting a spot to stick your valuable cigar cabinet with its precious contents.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I was concerned with ambient light and artificial light in a room, not direct sunlight. Sounds like a solid wood cabinet is the best option...

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of people who own glass-top humis complain that the seal between the glass and wood is not 100% and end up modifying it .

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Alot of people who own glass-top humis complain that the seal between the glass and wood is not 100% and end up modifying it .
Those are cheaply made and as the old saying goes "you get what you pay for." I think it would be unfair to compare a smaller humi made overseas to a furniture quality humidor. There are plenty of people on this forum who have cabinets and wineadors and never have problems, and the large majority have glass on the front.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
356   0   0
craig and aaron have solid points. then again, if glass cabs were strictly bad for cigars, you wouldn't see large windows and glass doors in walk-in's at B&M's, right?

like any other storage solution, you are looking for close and reliable seals, and temperature control be it active or passive. if it WORKS, and you also get to stare at your stash without opening it, more the better.
Yep. Direct sunlight is also no bueno.

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
My cabinet has full glass on the front. Have had zero issues with storage for 5 years +. Though my cabinet is in the basement and never exposed to sunlight.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I dont know if this is what other people do or not.. but.....

In my cabinent.. Ive got 4 shelves that are used for box storage... and then 3 more that are set at an angle, with trays on them...

The stuff I have in boxes... wouldnt see direct sunlight.. even if the sun was shining on the cabinet directly.. all of the sticks are inside boxes afterall...

Only the stuff in trays would be exposed... which is for the most part where I put singles, yard gars, and stuff Im likely going to go through over the next few months... so the direct sunlight thing would be for the most part a non issue anyway...