What's new

Can it be done?

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Ron:

Hoping you can answer a question. Is it possible to convert an old non-working fridge into a humidor? I've been toying with the idea because I see a lot of old refridgerators being thrown out. If one were to remove the motor, line the inside with spanish cedar (after giving it a good cleaning and airing out) and add a power outlet to the inside for humidification, is it feasable? It'd probably have to be opened once a week to allow for some airflow since they are airtight. What are your thoughts?

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
yes, its more than feasible, It can be done easily. Once you seal up the interior, and line it with spanish cedar, you just have a giant coolidor. Dont put the outlet inside. Although it looks good, its not a good idea. I helped friend do one, and it took care of the cigars perfectly.

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
yes, its more than feasible, It can be done easily. Once you seal up the interior, and line it with spanish cedar, you just have a giant coolidor. Dont put the outlet inside. Although it looks good, its not a good idea. I helped friend do one, and it took care of the cigars perfectly.
How would you power an electronic humidification device though? Wouldn't a power cord stop the door from closing?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I do this with a chest freezer in the basement. Took out the motor and have quite a bit of cedar, but didn't bother to line the whole thing (I looked at it, but it was costly). Use 3 lbs of beads for a 5 cu. ft freezer and it holds at 65/65 year round .... not much to look at but the damn thing works!

A few computer fans will take care of the airflow problem, but still do open it up periodically for fresh air (which isn't generally a problem anyways :thumbsup:)