What's new

Can't lower humidity

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to lower the humidity in my humi. It stays between 68 and 72%. I would like it to be under 70 closer to 65.
I have left the damn thing open for days, added more cigars, added more cedar sheets and I even removed my humidification device. I tried drying the device out and putting it back in to see if it would soak up any humidity and it doesn't. It will not stay lower. I also live in Florida so it's always humid.
Does anyone have any suggestion as to how I can lower it so I can maintain a 65 or so level? It's getting pretty frustrating.

Thanks,

Bill

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is an abbey about 10 years old.
i was using a disc (not beads). I haven't had the disc in for days now and it still won't lower.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
by disc, i assume you mean a green florist foam humidifier. it you use plain distilled water in it, it will have no humidity control. if you use a pg/distilled ater solution, it should hold at about 70%. too lower it, you will need 65% beads, or 65% bovedas.

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
Also, maybe a dumb question, but have you calibrated your hygrometer? Maybe it's just giving false readings.

Yep, what he said.... I was about to post the same thing when I read hi post. Do a salt test, you'd be surprised. I had one off by +5.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
You need to gather some information. First, you need to check the hygrometer. If it's reading wrong, but consistantly wrong, then you can still use it. If you know it constantly reads +5 for example, then it's ok to use, just account for the difference. If it's inconsistant, then you need a new one.

Once you get the hygrometer figured out, check the seal on your humi. It's not going to matter what you use for humidification control if the seal on your humidor is bad. If the seal is good then you're set, if not you need to address that.

After you get all of that figured out, you need to address humidification. I would use beads if I were you. Heartfelt, one of our sponsors, is THE best place to get them. Take the cigars out of the humidor and put them in a tupperware container. Get the rh in the humidor straightened out, and then put the cigars back in.

Sounds like a long process, but the cigars will thank you for it!

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
To lower humidity, get a tub of Damp Rid from the grocery store. It works fairly quickly, so keep an eye on it. Here in South Florida at times the humidity both in my house and outside will stay higher than I keep my humidors at, and I'll need to use it to keep things ballanced. If you want a slower pull down after you get it where you want, put the lid on it with just a crack left open.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
100% silica (damp rid or kitty litter) will do a better job than beads at lowering your humidity. Beads are fine for holding humidity but takes weeks to lower it iin my experience.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
I would just buy some 65% beads and throw them in there dry. Try not to put too much faith in your hygrometer.

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I have been trying to lower the humidity in my humi. It stays between 68 and 72%. I would like it to be under 70 closer to 65.
I have left the damn thing open for days, added more cigars, added more cedar sheets and I even removed my humidification device. I tried drying the device out and putting it back in to see if it would soak up any humidity and it doesn't. It will not stay lower. I also live in Florida so it's always humid.
Does anyone have any suggestion as to how I can lower it so I can maintain a 65 or so level? It's getting pretty frustrating.

Thanks,

Bill
Beads!!!!!!

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
Beads and most humidification devices assume that the humidor will be higher in humidity than the room it sits in. What if every time you open it up you get a blast of 85%. Sure if the humidor was low the beads will suck up some moisture, but soon they can't and each time you open it, you go higher. Damp Rid will take care of this, the over seasoned humidor, etc.

Seems to me like humidors that are kept cold, like a vino temp, tend to add humidity when you open it due to the warmer moist air hitting colder drier air. Remember that 70% humidity at 80 degrees has a lot more moisture in it than 70% at 65 degrees. It's relative humidity we measure, not moisture content.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For a quick fix use silica gel and then get beads as has been said along with checking your hygrometer. Once you get beads your worries will be over and you won't even need a hygrometer at all. I have them but only because Im anal about temps. I recharge my beads about once every other month and they stay at 68% all the time. Beads are a wonderful thing!

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Beads and most humidification devices assume that the humidor will be higher in humidity than the room it sits in. What if every time you open it up you get a blast of 85%. Sure if the humidor was low the beads will suck up some moisture, but soon they can't and each time you open it, you go higher. Damp Rid will take care of this, the over seasoned humidor, etc.

Seems to me like humidors that are kept cold, like a vino temp, tend to add humidity when you open it due to the warmer moist air hitting colder drier air. Remember that 70% humidity at 80 degrees has a lot more moisture in it than 70% at 65 degrees. It's relative humidity we measure, not moisture content.
some great advice in this thread. Mitch nailed it though. High temp with humidity is wetter than 66 degrees and 70%.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes I have calibrated my hygrometer 3 times and all 3 times it was the same. I am 4% low so I know to add the 4% to what is says in my humi. I am going to try the damp rid stuff. Once I get my humi to where I want, I will use beads.
Thanks everyone.