What's new

Cedar Chest?

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I've seen plenty of guys build coolerdors or winedors. But has anyone built a humidor out of a cedar chest? They are cheap on CL and didn't know if anyone has ever had any luck with one.

Here's a couple of links, too:

One
Two
Three

I wonder how stable the RH is in one of these puppies..

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I have not, but i know a few guys have, and the hardest thing i have heard is dealing with the seal. Might be an issue too if it is not Spanish ceder. But i have never embarked on such a thing so take this with a grain of salt. : ) let us know which way you go and how it works out !

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
You should NOT use cedar chests like these. It's the American Aromatic Cedar which is not good and regulating RH and also THE AROMATIC CEDAR ALTERS THE TASTE OF THE CIGARS.

If you want to find a project you may want to look at Mahogany chests. Mahogany is the same type of wood as Spanish Cedar and will control the RH much better and will not affect the cigars. You may want to put a few panels of Spanish Cedar along sides, bottom or dividers for the aromatic and rh properties

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
You should NOT use cedar chests like these. It's the American Aromatic Cedar which is not good and regulating RH and also THE AROMATIC CEDAR ALTERS THE TASTE OF THE CIGARS.

If you want to find a project you may want to look at Mahogany chests. Mahogany is the same type of wood as Spanish Cedar and will control the RH much better and will not affect the cigars. You may want to put a few panels of Spanish Cedar along sides, bottom or dividers for the aromatic and rh properties
I AGREE 100%, the hope chests use a different kind of cedar not good for cigars. I once was going to do the same thing.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you just like the looks of the chest you could completely seal the Red cedar with Polly and reline it with Spanish Cedar then it would be fine, otherwise don't do it!