What's new

Cigar box as a Humidor?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've heard it said before, the main reason you shouldn't use a cigar box as a humidor is it doesn't have a good seal.

Now I'm in college and on a budget, I have heard of using a styrofoam cooler as a large humidor, but I find I buy cigars 2-3 at a time and enjoy that till I need some more. Sure my collection will grow in time, but right now its just not that big.

So could I use a cigar box if I cut a slot around the rim to add a seal and found a way to enclose the back hinge area as well?

I want something that is going to look good while being functional.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
This is how I started....and besides the fact you'll totally be kidding yourself into
thinking this is enough storage...it WILL come in handy as long as you'll need it..

http://www.cigarsolutions.com/products/Cigar-Caddy-15-cigar-travel-humidor.html

Can't argue w/ the price, and it's sold from a site sponsor.

Good luck!
That's a great suggestion. I still have my 15 count in use, and I practically live out of my 30 count when I'm on the road. They have a great seal and are an easy way to get started-and even if you end up with a massive collection, you can still use a travel case.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I started....and besides the fact you'll totally be kidding yourself into
thinking this is enough storage...it WILL come in handy as long as you'll need it..

Good luck!
Yeah with being in college, going on vacations, camping trips, hiking trips it would be nice to have a case I can bring with me that can handle whatever I put it through.

"Waterproof to 100 feet deep"

This cracked me up, I am a scuba diver, so I guess if I plan on diving from point to point I can still have my cigars :yes:

Rating - 100%
152   0   0
If you are just buying a few at at time 2/3 like you said, a ziploc bag and a lightly moistened cotton ball should keep your sticks for a week.

Same thing with any piece of Tupperware, you will be golden for a week easy.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are just buying a few at at time 2/3 like you said, a ziploc bag and a lightly moistened cotton ball should keep your sticks for a week.

Same thing with any piece of Tupperware, you will be golden for a week easy.
I do buy 2-3 at a time but often enjoy them over the course of 1 week to a month. Depends on when I can find it appropriate to smoke them.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
here is the easiest way.

step one: get a cigar box any will do.

get a lock N lock or similar container to put the box in.

choose your humidification.

there you go, closed system with cedar to help regulate RH and plenty of room to grow, and when your collection grows you can always use it as overflow. Less money spent on storage, more you can spend on cigars.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good luck!
I actually went this route, the humidor is on its way right now, just waiting to see my package at the front door!!

I figure with all the camping, hiking, climbing, scuba diving, traveling I do having something more robust makes sense. Is it going to be a box I leave on my desk? No probably not, but can I take it on a canoe trip down river to my campsite? Absolutely :)

And from the looks of it the 15 cigar caddy has a spot for a small lock?

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
here is the easiest way.

step one: get a cigar box any will do.I'd advise a box that is Spanish Cedar.

get a lock N lock or similar container to put the box in.

choose your humidification. There are plenty of devices to choose from but after doing this for years I've learned that kitty litter ( crystals ) works so much better over the long haul.

there you go, closed system with cedar to help regulate RH and plenty of room to grow, and when your collection grows you can always use it as overflow. Less money spent on storage, more you can spend on cigars.
Great post here and I've got 12 tupperadors of varying sizes and use Spanish Cedar Boxes and put my singles in those..then use KL as my humidification source and alls well with the world.

Herfin' Harg

BoM March 2012
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Back to the OP, see if you can track down a Torano Virtuoso Box. It's got recessed hinges, etc, and it'll work as a humi in a pinch.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
For someone's furture reference, this box has magnetic closure, is thick, and presentable. I still use it as a humidor. Holds just fine with beads in it.

thebayratt

Satori's Dad "NTA_Shawn"
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
If you can get ahold of a Room 101 Namakubia box, thatd be a good start.
I saw them and they are super thick boxes that have a tight seal. They actually have a "lid" and not a "flap".