What's new

Cigar box as humidor?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive my noobish question, I did some searching and didn't find this one addressed anywhere, so...I have an empty Gran Habano box that's really nifty looking and has a lid that shuts nice and tight, and I was thinking of using it as a humidor. Is there any reason why I shouldn't?

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
I do not know that box, so I can not say. Big thing is will it hold humidity? Does it pass the dollar bill test?
Put a shot glass of distiled water in for a week and season it put a digital hydo in and see if it will hold humidity for you.

Oh and good luck

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is the box, it's got a latch in the front, but the lid fits so snug it's not even necessary to latch it, I'm sure it'll hold a dollar bill. Thanks for the advice, I'll put that shotglass in -

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
Depends, like they said on how well it holds humidity. If it's stored in a farily humid area, it dosn't have to work great, if your in a dry area the seal is more important. I know plenty of people who do this and it works fine for them. Best test is to just try it with a handful of cigars and find out for yourself.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I have a couple of those boxes and they seal pretty well. Should work but they are small so be sure you do not over humidify. A smal boveda pack should work fine.