What's new

Cigar Caddy for long term storage?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I Will need to store my small stash of cigars for 6-8 months while I am away. I was thinking of using my 15 stick cigar caddy, with the dividers removed, to store about 20 sticks, and using two Boveda packs for humidification.

What are the chances that my cigars will still be smokeable and in good condition when I return? What can I do to improve my chances?

Thank you!

Yupp

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
u will be fine. i keep a lot of my collection in my cigar caddys i keep a 65% in the case . do not let it get hot and you will be fine

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Seems feasible but I would think you would want some air transfer especially over that long of a period. Also, I'm not familiar with how long Boveda packs stay good but it seems like the best thing to do would be to either rent a locker at a local shop or get a friend to store them for you. Just a thought.

CigarSaint

Who Dat!
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Seems feasible but I would think you would want some air transfer especially over that long of a period. Also, I'm not familiar with how long Boveda packs stay good but it seems like the best thing to do would be to either rent a locker at a local shop or get a friend to store them for you. Just a thought.
I agree with this. The packs last a while, but 8 months?

Dr. Xikar

The Knife Doctor
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
University of Mount Union, Alliance, Ohio
Cigar Caddy's are Airtight. In an airtight environment, Bovedas can last almost indefinitely.

As for the exchange of air, I wouldn't worry about that. Usually letting fresh air into a humidor is done to help move humidity through the humidor (at least from my understanding). From what I've read, the proper aging of cigars requires air, but it does not require FRESH air. Put a boveda in the bottom, put your sticks in, put a boveda on top, and then seal her up. You'll be set for the forseeable future.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cigar Caddy's are Airtight. In an airtight environment, Bovedas can last almost indefinitely.

As for the exchange of air, I wouldn't worry about that. Usually letting fresh air into a humidor is done to help move humidity through the humidor (at least from my understanding). From what I've read, the proper aging of cigars requires air, but it does not require FRESH air. Put a boveda in the bottom, put your sticks in, put a boveda on top, and then seal her up. You'll be set for the forseeable future.
Yup, what he said. I have had to do that for months at at time, with no problems. Make sure both Bovedas are the same RH and that temperatures will remain in a safe range. If the area where you are storing the caddy is going to get hot, leave it in a refrigerator. Just give it time to acclimate before opening, when you take it out of the 'frig. Again, I have done that (with a 50-stick OtterBox) for months at a time, with no problem.

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Send them to me and I'll store them for you. (I'll make sure they stay separate and don't get smoked :thumbsup:)When you get back shoot me a message and I'll send them back. That way they'll get good air circulation and the rh will be monitored. Shoot me a PM and I'll give you my address if you're interested.

BrooksW

BoM June '09
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
There is no problem storing for that long in a Caddy, but personally, I would go with something a bit more robust if I was looking for long term storage...

Try http://armoredhumidor.com...more then a typical Caddy, and MUCH higher quality...

Hope that helps!

~brooks

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
The Cigar Caddy is fine. You will not need 2 Bovedas, just use 1. The Cigar caddy is so airtight, the Boveda will last about 2 years. Keep it in a cool spot with no sun.

BrooksW

BoM June '09
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
I may be missing something but that seems like an overpriced caddy.
Well, they are more expensive, but I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for, and material wise, they are not even close to the same thing...

The caddies I have purchased (I have 4 of them, from a 5ver, 10er, 15er) had some problems (not all of them of course, but enough to leave an impression) from easily broken hinges to some seal issues...

It was enough to make me look for something else, and the Armored Humidors are amazingly well built (and 100% American made and materials, I was glad to find out)...

Again, both of them perform the same service, but as far as I am concerned, there really is no comparison...

Just my $.02 :)

~brooks

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I really don't know where the whole "air movement" thing came from, but if you are keeping your sticks in the 65% range, air movement is NOT that big of a deal, and in many cases is not even desirable. Particularly, as Dr. Xikar mentions, "FRESH" air. Fresh air contains additional oxygen beyond what is already in the environment. Oxygen is the main contributor to the aging process goes, so unless you are trying to artificially age your cigars, there is absolutely no reason to be regularly introducing fresh air into your stash, any more than you would normally. Keep in mind that cigars are stored in sealed and sometimes wrapped boxes for YEARS. There is no one opening those boxes and fanning fresh air over them! :wink:

The only reason to be concerned about air movement is to keep one area from becoming overly humidified and allowing mold growth. Not a real consideration when dealing with a small container like a caddy, especially with a lower RH value like 65% or lower.

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I would be concerned about mold. There was a time (pre-BOTL) when I left some cigars in a desktop humidor for a few months without checking on them and they all got moldy. Also, while the cigar caddy is virtually air-tight, the plastic on the "sealed" cigar boxes is actually porous and thus allows for some air circulation. Granted, it's not like having a fan on them, but new air can permeate through the packaging. Just my .02 :dunno:

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
I really don't know where the whole "air movement" thing came from, but if you are keeping your sticks in the 65% range, air movement is NOT that big of a deal, and in many cases is not even desirable. Particularly, as Dr. Xikar mentions, "FRESH" air. Fresh air contains additional oxygen beyond what is already in the environment. Oxygen is the main contributor to the aging process goes, so unless you are trying to artificially age your cigars, there is absolutely no reason to be regularly introducing fresh air into your stash, any more than you would normally. Keep in mind that cigars are stored in sealed and sometimes wrapped boxes for YEARS. There is no one opening those boxes and fanning fresh air over them! :wink:

The only reason to be concerned about air movement is to keep one area from becoming overly humidified and allowing mold growth. Not a real consideration when dealing with a small container like a caddy, especially with a lower RH value like 65% or lower.
Yep, this is spot on.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Thanks every one for the advice! I have some ideas and some more things too look into now. Luckily I have a while before I leave.