What's new

cigar oasis ultra

sportsmedjosh

CRA Member: 211528
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I was curious I did a search on here and couldn't find anything. I'm wondering who has one and would be able to write a quick review and show some pictures of the unit in their humidor. From the sound of things this unit is pretty small and should fit nicely into a desktop.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjihKI545bA"]YouTube - Cigar Oasis ULTRA electronic cigar humidifier[/ame]

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've had a couple of these, and like them. I am down to one now, since I gave one away on another board, before it grew gills (the board, not the Ultra). I am currently using it as part of a multi layered approach in a Cuban footlocker. I've also got beads and an Oust fan in there, as well as an ANALOG HYGROMETER (I know, color me a heretic). I travel a great deal, for up to a couple of months at a time, and I like having redundant systems. It's a good little unit, and the reason I am able to use it in such a big humidor is that I only store boxes in this humi. One issue I had is that in order to get the humidity where I wanted it I had to re-set the Ultra to 59%. That gives me a RH of 68-70% in the humidor. Would I recommend it? Yes, as long as you use it within it's limitations, and as long as you check the accuracy of the reading. I have also used it to season new humidors, and it works really well for that. Just set the cut off level a little higher than you would use for storage, and it will get it there and hold it.

Mark

Attachments

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Josh,
Reading the Ultra reviews in the link that you posted, it looks like they had the same problem I did with the unit over-humidifying. I never tried to call customer service though, I just re-set it. I've been using this one for over a year and haven't had any problems with it once I got it figured out.

Mark

sportsmedjosh

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
beads, hehehe. For a 100 count what else would you need??
Sometimes I'm gone for long periods of time and I would hate for something to happen and my cigars dry out. I'd rather be over conscious than lose lose more money in ruined cigars than an active system would have cost. I might just be paranoid. I'm also the guy who has multi backups of my HDD and research. External HDD backup every hour, online encrypted copies of the HDD, off site DVD copies, etc.

diesel

Banned
Rating - 91.9%
78   5   1
I have an XL in a cabinet. The XL can hold more hold more water than the ultra(very important for me). It is essential to have a hygro because the oasis is known for being inaccurate. I dig mine. Though it isn't 100% maintenance free it keeps my smokes just where I like them. I think one of our sponsors sells a really pimped out unit that is similar to the oasis. Ask RonC, he will know.

sportsmedjosh

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I have an XL in a cabinet. The XL can hold more hold more water than the ultra(very important for me). It is essential to have a hygro because the oasis is known for being inaccurate. I dig mine. Though it isn't 100% maintenance free it keeps my smokes just where I like them. I think one of our sponsors sells a really pimped out unit that is similar to the oasis. Ask RonC, he will know.
The Hydra. I'm also thinking about upgrading to something bigger in the future so I'm thinking that I can use it in he desktop for a while and then move it to a cabinet or vinotemp.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Sometimes I'm gone for long periods of time and I would hate for something to happen and my cigars dry out. I'd rather be over conscious than lose lose more money in ruined cigars than an active system would have cost. I might just be paranoid. I'm also the guy who has multi backups of my HDD and research. External HDD backup every hour, online encrypted copies of the HDD, off site DVD copies, etc.
Ahh one of those high maintence bitches huh??? Just kidding, I have to "water" my beads more this time a year but only about once a month.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I have a 180 quart cooledor that is my "aging" humi. I open it once a month to check. Pound and a half of beads, two oust fans. Rock solid every time.

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
i have a little 16 bottle wineador, and whenever i plugged it in to turn it on, the rh would drop to about 55% and stay there (i have 1# of 65% beads in there). put the oasis in there, and now it's a solid 65%. the hygrometer in the oasis sucks, (it's off by -7%) but i have it set at 72% and it's perfect! (thanks dprice. your package goes out tomorrow)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wasn't happy with mine. It was always about 10% off in humidity acording to 2 hygrometers (one digital, one analog). Also, about 2 months past its warrenty the fan stopped working.