What's new

Cigar split while smoking

rick12string

Caught in the Crossfire
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
This past Sunday I smoked a 5 Vegas Series “A” Alpha (6x52 torp.) before the Super Bowl. I have had this cigar in my humi for about a year. It had a very nice aroma and was very smooth with great flavor, very enjoyable. I will buy more. The only problem I had was at about the halfway point the cigar started to bulge a little and the wrapper split right where the band would be (I removed it before lighting the cigar). As I continued to smoke, the split traveled slightly and the wrapper started to flake or peel around the cigar. With about a third of the cigar left, it had a pretty good bulge right behind the burn line but none of this affected the draw. It seemed to smoke fine. I just had to keep wetting the wrapper down a little to keep it from peeling apart. Got past the split and finally let it go at about an inch.
I’ve always tried to keep my humidors at 70% RH but usually they would be between 68% and 70%. I have an analog hygrometer and a WD Caliber III in this humi. Both were checked in a Boveda test kit for accuracy and they were consistent with each other so I’m pretty sure the RH was close. For past two months or so I’ve kept the humidity at 65% using the beads as recommended by many BOTL’s, much more experienced than myself. I would expect what happened to occur with a cigar that is too moist. When cutting the cap it did seem somewhat brittle. I also noticed the cap on a Padron 64 Exclusivo maduro I had the day before seemed a bit brittle as well when cutting it but that cigar smoked perfectly with no issues. I don’t know if my cigars are getting too dry. If anyone has experienced this or has any suggestions, I would appreciate your input.

rick12string

Caught in the Crossfire
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I just saw the thread "Some cigars splitting" by MangoMike. Should have read that first but I'm still confused because this never happened to me before and my cigars seem drier than before. :scratchhe

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
If you removed the band before smoking you may have damaged the wrapper in doing so. I wait until some heat has softened the pectin glue used for the band, it will come off easily after afew minutes of smoking. Otherwise a wet cigar will cause this to happen as you mentioned.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I find this tends to happen a lot in the winter months...that could be it...relative to the conditions during the winter months the humidity level of the cigar could appear to be different.

rick12string

Caught in the Crossfire
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
If you removed the band before smoking you may have damaged the wrapper in doing so. I wait until some heat has softened the pectin glue used for the band, it will come off easily after afew minutes of smoking. Otherwise a wet cigar will cause this to happen as you mentioned.

The band slid off very easily. If I held it vertically, it could have almost just slipped off. I think the cigar shrunk slightly but when I don’t know. I have an Excalibur 1066 that was next to it and I noticed the band is very loose on that one also. This however is not the case with all of the cigars in that humi. I did notice the cigar softened up some while smoking it (although I’ve noticed that before without problems). I’m thinking maybe the wrapper was dry and the filler still had enough moisture in it to swell while burning and split the wrapper. I just don’t think this should happen at 65% RH.