What's new

Cigars and heat

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Besides beetles, does the heat do anything else detrimental to cigars? I've lived in apartments with ac up until this year when we bought a house with no ac and my humi definable got hot. There are for sure NO beetles, but I was curious if the heat can cause any other damage? Thanks guys.

Rating - 100%
101   0   0
makes it alot harder to maintain humidity cause once it gets hotter than 70 degrees the rh will naturally go up window ac and put your storage on the floor or the lowest place it can go. could also run into wrapper problems. garage sale window unit will cool the room your storage is in fine

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Thanks guys. The last time it was too hot was months ago at this point in the year. should I still be on the lookout for beetles?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks guys. The last time it was too hot was months ago at this point in the year. should I still be on the lookout for beetles?
If it is above 70 degrees F then there is a chance for beetles if your not careful. If it is lower than 70*F, smooth sailing. Find what %RH you prefer and your set. I prefer 65% RH, some others like 69. To each their own.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
A little over a year ago I made the decision to freeze all of my cigars and also freeze all cigars that I get. I am a proponent on letting my cigars fully acclimate before smoking, so it is a very simple thing to help ease my mind from potential disaster.
I have read some cigar makers freeze their cigars before shipping and some do not. If this is true, I have no idea on who does and who doesn't, so I just freeze them all.
Last year a very popular and highly anticipated cigar release had problems with active beetle infestations. To my knowledge these were quickly correctly to the best of their ability. But something like that could be disastrous. I prefer not to take chances with my cigar investment. Just an option to consider.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I also freeze EVERY cigar before it goes into my humidor. It's a simple step for complete piece of mind.
I would like to know how many manufacturers freeze their cigars before shipping.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Thanks for all the responses guys. I still am curious about the first question though. Besides beetles, does the heat do anything else detrimental to cigars?

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Beatles are your only worry when it comes to heat.

They are planted in heat, grown in heat, harvested in heat, rolled in heat, and then murdered with heat (fire). Heat isn't bad but those beetles that were "in heat" did lay some eggs...

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Grapes need heat and sun to grow, but you don't store your wine in the sun or in the heat. Long term, that's not going to be good for the storage of your cigars, but short term it should be ok.

As temp rises, so does the amount of moisture the air can hold, resulting in a drop in measured relative humidity. What this means practically speaking is that either 1) your media is going to introduce more moisture into the storage unit, increasing the absolute humidity, and your cigars will drink up that extra moisture too getting too wet, or 2) if no additional moisture is released into the storage unit, your cigars will shed moisture as the air draws moisture out, resulting in drier cigars. Neither is a particularly desirable result if your cigars were already where you wanted them, so you'll want to make seasonal adjustments for hotter and colder seasons.

Worse are temp swings, which can cause your cigars to crack from the changes, and in some circumstances result in mold, if you have condensation.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Thanks again everyone. Definitely need to make some plans for this summer, but everything is good now. Sitting at the right temp for months now, right RH, no mold, no beetles, so I think I'm good! Now to continue dropping hints to the wife for a wineador for Christmas...