What's new

Cigars in drawers or boxes?

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Am I the only one that like to keep cigars in drawers for easy access? I take them all out of the boxes and arrange them in drawers for storage.

I've been exchanging emails with Bob and in the process of ordering a custom Aristocrat made. To get some ideas for my new humi I've been looking at hundred of pics of humis and I see that about 90% of people seem to leave their stash in original boxes. There were few pictures with only few cigars left in a cab... seems like a waste of space.

Does it help with aging or maybe prevent the flavors from merging with each other perhaps? What am I missing?

-hawaiian

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
I find that you could fit more in drawers than you could with boxes, that way you are never left with those random couple of boxes less than half full. I do however have some sealed boxes that I keep at the bottom of my cooler to age a bit.

I cant afford an aristocrat or avallo but if I could I would get mostly drawers with room for maybe 8 boxes on the bottom. Good luck with whatever you decide on!

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I store mostly in boxes but put them into trays or drawers once I get a bit past half way through the box. Main thing for me is once you pass a thousand cigars it is easier to keep track and find stuff. I don't buy too many singles and usually try smoke them sooner then later. I think long term aging is best done with the least abount of air flow so boxes will only see air circulation when you open the box but drawers will see it every time you open them to grab any smoke. Last thing about storing in boxes is for date codes. I am way too lazy to make labels for every cigar documenting the date code and where it came from. Even if I don't mark it on the box it is much easier to remeber when stored in boxes. In the end it mostly comes down to your shopping habits which one I would recomend. Also it depends on how long you plan on storing cigars. I personally prefer drawers for stuff I don't have much of and will smoke within a few years. If it is going to be down for a long time I prefer boxes.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
When it's full, or close to full, it stays in boxes... As the boxes get low, it moves into the drawers.
when I buy singles, they go straight into the drawers.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Boxes for storage and easier to play tetris.

When I get down to the last 10, 5 go in a 5 finger bag for reference and 5 go in the singles humidor.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
See the above three posts. I haven't had drawers up until now, but now that I do, the above is exactly what I'm doing.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Thanks for the input guys. I take all my sticks out of the boxes when I freeze them so I opt for all drawer configuration.
I ordered a custom mini with 5 pull out drawers from Bob. Now the waiting game begins...

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Appears my thoughts are similar to others here...boxes when full or down to half-full and then into drawers. Some singles are grouped together into those nice handmade boxes that Mark used to sell.
My cabinet has one drawer in the top which leaves plenty of room for boxes on the bottom and one shelf. Some boxes I store inside airtight plastic bins with Boveda packs for better RH maintenance. 4 or 5 boxes and a couple of open ziplocks can fit inside the larger ones and the whole package gets tucked onto the shelf.
Invariably, it seems that singles in the drawer tend to get handled more and thus suffer a cracked foot or other slight damage.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
One last option. (I know you already ordered but for guys following this.) One Vinotemp for box storage and one Vinotemp with Double drawers and singles!

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
Neither, I use jars. Got 38 of them each holding between 20 and 25 cigars, most with all from the same box and some with mixed singles. Completely maintenance free which is great for my lazy ass. I found the whole humidor, humidification thing was like keeping an aquarium going, too much work. Thank God for Boveda!!