What's new

Cigars losing their smell over time?

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I find that keeping a cigar in its celo keeps its aroma quite potent, even after a year+ of being in a humi.

However, I have two humis with great seals and a constant 65% RH level, and I notice that the longer cigars are in them, the more they lose their aroma.

Is this fairly normal? Do cigars become less potent (smell wise) but retain their flavour over time?

Should I be worried?

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I find this to be the case as well. Non-cello-wrapped cigars don't "smell" as strongly, I don''t know if it's that they loose their scent, or if it mingles with others, or what. But I've certainly found that cigar that are in cello, even several years old, smell much more strongly.

I can't say for sure that this affects flavor. I've smoked plenty of non-celloed cigars that didn't smell like much but tasted wonderful. But I'll say that for this reason (and the simple fact that it protects wrappers so much better), I no longer remove my cigars from their cello as I once did. I'm now pro-cello all the way!

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Maybe from the wrapper.......slightly yes. Start smelling the foot more! Also want to say that a lot of times the initial smells are now being masked by that good Ole fashion cedar.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
When I first began this hobby and set up my humi's my room smelled of that sweet tobacconess everytime I opened my humi. It's been a couple of years sense I've smelt that but my wife and brothers say they can smell it easily when in the room. I guess I've spent so much time in there I have become immune to the smell so I take this into concideration when smelling sticks, cello or not.
As long as it doesn't loose the flavor while smoking, that's all I can hope for.