What's new

Cigars splitting - RH problem? Help

rick12string

Caught in the Crossfire
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I have a 75-100 count desk top humi with a rectangular humidifier on the lid. I switched out the foam/PG solution to the 65% beads in January. Since then I’ve been having problems with some cigars splitting or the wrapper starting the peel off in sections while in the humi. I have also had cigars that looked fine but started to split or peel after I started smoking them. On some I noticed the caps were a little brittle when cutting. I never had this before. I am as sure as I can be that the humidity in the humidor was at 65% (maybe dropped to 64% once or twice). The humidor has a good seal. I have two hygrometers in it, one digital, one analog, they both are calibrated and agree with each other. I even put a 2 ounce tube in addition to the large rectangular humidifier which is filled with beads. I’m adding enough water to turn about 80% of the beads clear but still have to add water every week. With the foam/pg I was good for 1-2 months holding 68-70% RH.

I changed back to the foam/pg in fear of ruining anymore cigars. I was thinking of trying the 70% beads but not sure. According to the instructions I have read, it only takes a small amount of distilled water (1-2 tablespoons I think) to wet them the correct amount for this size humidor although I'm sure I added more. This doesn’t seem like enough water to sustain the humidity for any length of time, especially if you open the humi twice a week to get cigars out or just check the RH. I think the floral foam holds a lot more water. I don’t want to have to put a half pound of beads in there (serious overkill) and take up all that room. I was looking for a lower maintenance option plus the cigars do seem to smoke better at 65% if they don’t split or peel.

I’m at a loss. Everyone here using the beads seems to be having great results with them. Am I missing something? Is it normal to have to add water every week? Are they better for larger cabinet type humidors as opposed to desk tops? I don’t want to give up on the beads just yet but don’t want to ruin anymore sticks either.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Actually Rick, splitting wrappers is often a sign of an over-humidified cigar. How long have you had the 65% beads in the humi? You should not have to be recharging those beads that often. Something just doesn't seem right about that. You aren't in your humi enough from your descriptions to be causing that kind of loss of RH.

Floral Foam does indeed hold more water, but living in SC, humidity shouldn't be too bad...what's your ambient RH in the house?

How did you last calibrate the Hygros? Analogs are notoriously inaccurate, but if it matches the digital then it might be right...

The only other possibilty I can think of was that the cigars were dry to begin with and the reason you were having to constantly add water was that they were soaking it up. This could also lead to the wrapper splitting on you as the filler takes up moister more quickly than the wrapper (as I understand it).

As far as the suitability of beads, I would actually say they work better in small spaces. Less to regulate. So they should be perfect for you humidor.

While it may seem silly, I'd recalibrate your hygro just to be doubly sure it is accurate.

rick12string

Caught in the Crossfire
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Thanks for your reply Jason.
I’m on the same page with you with everything you said.
I’m aware of the over humidification problem, cigars swelling and cracking but these cigars have been stored at an averaged 68-70% RH for a long time and never got over 70% so I know they weren’t too dry or too moist. This only started when I switched to the 65% beads. The beads were in the humi for about 6 weeks. Ambient in the house is around 40-45% RH. The hygros were calibrated with a Boveda test kit. I did recalibrate the hygros just to make sure and they checked out fine.

I’ve been told that cigars can be stored safely between 60% and 72% but I don’t think I would ever want to go below 65% or above 70%.

The only thing I can think of is that the wrappers have the most surface area exposed to the humidor environment. I’m thinking that maybe the beads pulled the moisture out of the wrappers too fast, faster than the filler causing the wrappers to shrink and split or just peel (although this isn’t such a drastic change in RH). Other than that I’m still puzzled.
Thanks again for your help.
Rick