What's new

Closet Refrigeration

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
There have been a number of topics about building a walk-in or a closet conversion, such as Vegan's great thread:

http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=49614

There was also an old thread on cooling a closet:

http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=5965

Just wanted to ping the knowledge base here to see if there are new solutions or ideas on cooling a closet?

I have an area of my house controlled by an air conditioner... the total area is probably about 20' x 16'. I usually keep this area of the house at about 85F, because I don't use it that often, and being a small area with its own A/C unit, I can cool it down really quickly if I want to spend time in there.

There is a closet in this room, about 5'l x 6'w x 10'h. The closet has its own door (on a hinge, not a slider). I'd like to turn this into a walk-in humi, and place to store a handful of bottles of red wine. Ideally, it would stay somewhere between 62F and 67F... with 62F being preferred.

What are ideas to cool it? A couple of points... I can knock a hole through the wall... the closet has two external walls. I wouldn't mind putting in a small hole to act like a vent for a mini-A/C unit, but I would prefer to not knock a hole so large as to put a wall-mount A/C unit-sized hole in the external wall.

Are there any refrigeration units that would work for this space? Maybe a thermo-type unit?

I have drywall up now, with insulation behind it. I'll have to get a better door, and will probably put up some type of liner/board beneath cedar walling. In other words, I'm hoping that this will maintain its own environment with minimal influence from the hot and dry adjacent room.

Any thoughts?

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I found this advice on another board:

[quote name='MilesMingusMonk' timestamp='1160505086' post='377762']
Same concept as installing a wine cellar:

Remove drywall to studs on walls and ceiling.
Install insulation between studs to moderate temperature swings inside walk-in, depending on location in house.
Install plastic ( vapor barrier ) on walls/ floor/ ceiling; minimize seams / cuts.
Install water resistant drywall ( "green board" ) on walls and ceiling; use galvanized fasteners.
Install 2+ GFI outlets and overhead lighting ( with swich on outside of walk in)
Replace door with exterior grade door ( full glass?) with proper seal.
[/quote]

http://www.feithonline.com/humidor/

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Nice detail.

The wine cellar comment might be the absolutely correct approach. I did some searching on cellar building, and it seems there are coolers that double as humidifiers. A bit pricey, but would give me two units in one, and probably worth it. Sent emails into a few companies that do design/build work for wine cellars.

Any other insights/tips would be appreciated... especially on the mechanical hardware (i.e. cooling unit).