What's new

Coffins and Plastic on Boxes

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I'm wondering what the consensus is for storage of cigars in coffins. Do you take them out and toss the coffins? Keep the cigars in the coffins? Coffins open? The reason I ask is that when I got my Opus 22 set last year, the whole thing seemed to reek of varnish. The insides of the coffins were plain wood, but it just seemed like it wouldn't be a good idea to leave them in there. I took them all out, and put the loose cigars in the humidor. I'd like to put them all back in the coffins so I'm "airing out" to whole packaging for the 22 set. They don't seem to smell as much as they did in the beginning. Is this a common issue or am I just worrying about nothing? The coffins I got with a DPG 10th Anniversary box didn't seem to smell as varnishy, so I just left them all in the coffins in the box.

Also....Do you remove the factory seal plastic on boxes for long term aging? I know they leave it on at the shops usually. Is there a technical reason to leave it on or off for the health of the cigars? What about collector value? If you were going to buy a box of FFP, First release Anejo 888, or 5 year old Opus super bellies would the value depend any upon if the plastic was still on the box and/or if it was sealed?

Experienced opinions are appreciated.

Thanks!

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
maintaining an optimal storage environment while varnish completely dries neutral is bs, so i'd of done the same. I doubt the residual chemical vapors would penetrate thru a high end cigar coffin.
keeping factory seals I would guess a real risk for complete loss nowadays. some owners / buyers would suspect a possible mold issue with anejo in cedar or a beatle infest if subject to warm temps during factory to b&m transport.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I typically store cigars in whatever packaging they came from the factory in (box, coffin, tin, jar, etc..)..

I do typically remove the plastic on boxes.. whether I am going to smoke them soon.. or put them down for long naps... I like to open the box up when I receive it, and inspect the contents.. I've been fortunate enough to have never received a box that was jacked up from onset.. but.. I dont want to go buy a $200+ box of sticks.. lay it down for 2 years.. only to open it up at that time and find that Ive got a problem.. and that its too late to go to the retailer or manufacturer to seek resolution..

Rating - 100%
262   0   0
I too remove all of the plastic from the boxes and coffins before they go in my humidor. For the same reasons that Dave mentioned. I also out of habit take off the cello and cedar sleeves, paper sleeves, really anything other than the bands. too many times I've been gifted cigars in cedar sleeves that are covered in mold underneath.

I do put cigars back in coffins if they came in coffins, but I check on them pretty regularly to ensure nothing is going wrong.

Mostly this is all due to my OCD and sense of paranoia.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I typically store cigars in whatever packaging they came from the factory in (box, coffin, tin, jar, etc..)..

I do typically remove the plastic on boxes.. whether I am going to smoke them soon.. or put them down for long naps... I like to open the box up when I receive it, and inspect the contents.. I've been fortunate enough to have never received a box that was jacked up from onset.. but.. I dont want to go buy a $200+ box of sticks.. lay it down for 2 years.. only to open it up at that time and find that Ive got a problem.. and that its too late to go to the retailer or manufacturer to seek resolution..
Great response and reasoning.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I've always been a little wary of varnished or painted boxes, due to the smell they sometimes have. If it's a spanish cedar box, in it goes. If it's varnished or painted, I remove them and store 'em loose.

I'm with the others, always remove plastic and inspect upon receipt.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0

Great response and reasoning.
Perfect reasoning indeed, now I have to bring myself to actually do that and check everything I have been storing.