What's new

Coleman 48qt Cooledor question

ThankfulJoe

Rather Be Flying
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
So I bought a 48qt Coleman to make a Cooledor for the My Father's i just got in as well as the Shuckins WMD and the cab of PCRs i just bought and are enroute. My question is this. I initially washed the cooler out very well with a small cap of bleach as suggested, then it spent about half a day with a box of baking soda, and dried it well to the point that I could not detect a plastic smell.

I put a 250ct Xikar gel humi in along with a little digital Hygrometer and after just 24 hours it was already stabilized at exactly 70 and 70. (I keep my house at 70 regardless so it works out well.) I'm going later today to buy a few Oust fans to circulate the air as well. I've had the boxes of Le Bijou in there for two days now and there is a distinct smell when I open the cooler. It's not of tobacco but a mix between light paint smell and plastic. I picked up one of the My Father boxes and gave it a good whiff to get a mild return of paint/lacquer smell.

Any ideas if this is dangerous to the cigars or suggestions as to what I should do? Just ordered a bunch of cedar shelves but they won't be in for a few days. I plan on transfering the Le Bijou to the shelves when they get in and I assume they've spent a long time in these boxes already so I know a few more days aren't going to hurt them. Just wondering if this is common or if the smell easily transfers to the cigars? I bought a box of Dracs and had it shipped to me during the last deployment and the cigars were plagued with the same thing for at least a month or two after i moved them out of the box.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I run 2 70Qt coolidors. I wash them with a cap full of bleech and then hose them out.
I let them sit out in the driveway in the sun for about three days. That gets rid of the plastic smell. as far as fans go, I dont use any. I don't believe I need to circulate air in such a small space, but please do as you see fit.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I used a cooler I put a shot of whisky in there to mask the smell, only problem was everytime I walk by I opened it to smell the cedar and whisky.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I used dish wash soap and water washed the cooler 2 to 3 times. Then wiped down with paper towels and kept the cooler open for a couple of days till smell was gone. You should get no smell from the cooler after the cleaning. Might be coming from the boxes if too much varnish is on them. If you are concerned the boxes smell bad, take the cigars out and find another box. At least remove the cigars and try to air out the box, then give it a sniff before putting back into the cooler.

Also sounds like you have too much air space for that size cooler. See if you get get a bunch of empty boxes to take up space. Adding the extra cedar will help prevent RH bounce when you open and close the cooler.

Search coolidor primer for some old info. I might bump it now for you too. (Link added)

http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=8917

ThankfulJoe

Rather Be Flying
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Update... I took all of the MF Le Bijou 1922s out of the painted boxes and put them in newly received cedar trays. I have about 120 or so cigars now in there and half a dozen more empty cedar trays in addition. Also doubled my humidification means and added a second Hygrometer i had laying around so there is now one on the lid and at the bottom. It's been about a week and it's staying pretty stable between 68-72% RH. My house stays pretty close to 70 degrees so temperature isn't really an issue. The bottom Hygro is pretty consistently 2-3% higher than the top but they may need to be calibrated. Also the paint/plastic/lacquer smell is completely gone and now replaced with a quite delicious smell of tobacco.