What's new

Condensation issue: HELP!

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
So I have an Edgestar with some draws/shelves and boxes in it and over the past few days I've watched the temp/humidity go from 63º/64% to 63º/51%. I went to check my stopper over the drain to make sure nothing was leaking out and I was greeted with a nice puddle of water/condensation and found a nice little pool at the bottom of my humidor. I resealed the drain on both the inside and out and it keep condensing around the fan and puddling in the drain area.

I've had this for about 8 months and never had any issues like this before. What gives?

What should I do or check on?

I'm using 65% heartfelt beads.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
The ambient RH out side of the humi has changed and/or the temp. This has caused the cooling unit to be used more often, and thus condensation. Some guys place beads down there to soak it up, so blow a fan across it to evaporate it. It happened to me once, when The cooling element in back was running more often.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Same issue here, I have figured out that mine is just running all the damn time thus pulling the moisture out of the beads and then condensation built up from it running is filling the drain hole. Mine requires the beads be rehydrated every 2-3 days and every 4-5 days the bag of beads over the drain hole are soaking wet. I think it might be time for an ETC.

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I checked the winedor 101 thread and a few others.... seems like I'm gonna get some heartfelt bead sheets for the back wall and bottom and get some new batteries for my oust fan.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I would also add the some beads down where the drain is to catch the condensation. 63 degrees is asking for that bugger to run ALOT. Might want to consider an ETC as well.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I'd prefer it warmer (65º) but its on its warmest setting.... don't have money for an ETC (I'd rather buy more Habanos!!!)
It's really not that expensive, and makes things a lot easier. I was very happy to give up a few cigars, to buy what was needed to make maintenance a breeze. For the value of cigars I have my vinotemp taking care of, a few more bucks to do it the way I wanted-was well worth it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a situation developed this morning that almost caused a meltdown. Because of the recent spike in temp last couple of weeks I bought a 9 bottle cooler to store my sticks. For the first couple of weeks thing were fine temp 65-68 and humidity 60-62%.

I shut the cooler off last night because I noticed the humidity was creeping up! This morning the humidity was almost 80% and the cigars at the rear of the box were wet or damp! I moved them to a regular humidor and and took out the element to try and dry them out! Also put some rice in there to soak up the excess moisture.

Any idea how long it will take for the cigars to dry out and if permanent damage has been? This are all single CC's stored on a cedar tray. I am in the process of getting a bigger box (21 bottle) probably tonight! Help!

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
IMO, wet cigars are garbage. Sure they could dry out over time but think about the chances of mold now.... When using a wine cooler, turn the temp down (make it colder) to bring RH down when it is starting to climb. Not sure why you have the problem you have, I would need some more info and maybe pics.. I would look into beads because it sounds like you may have some other issues involved..

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
You might want to separate them and wait for them to dry out, but I don't think they are ruined. Your biggest danger is them splitting.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily it was an overnight sensation. Anyhow I picked up a 21 bottle Vinotemp for $80.00 on Craigslist. Sweet!

I dry-boxed the damp sticks with some rice to draw out the moisture and all seems well. They are safely sleeping at 63/63%!

I have a PL Asian Market Robusto that a friend gave me that I am going to smoke just because it looks the worst for wear (just the excuse I was looking for).

Had to put a fan in the top section to keep the humidity from skyrocketing. I am going to look for a timer so that it doesn't run all the time. Will keep you posted.