What's new

Confused with the beads

rick12string

Caught in the Crossfire
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I have the 65% heartfelt beads in a 100 ct. desktop with a good seal. The RH hangs right around 65-66% even with the beads looking mostly dry, about 80% white (did the rectangular humidifier conversion to beads). I have the same beads in a Tupperware I’m using to store a box in, the RH is 68-69% and the beads are almost all white and dry. This is with the lid just laying in place with a magazine on top of it, not even snapped tight otherwise the RH will go up to 70%. (RH in the house is around 45-50)
I got another ½ lb bag of the beads just to make sure the 1st bag wasn’t labeled wrong but got the same results. I’ve used the same hygrometers to check the readings in the humidor and the Tupperware swapping them at various times and they concur. BTW the hygros were calibrated in a Boveda.

The Tupperware is approximately 12” x 8” x 4”. I’ve tried it with 1- 2 ounces of beads and also with a quarter pound of beads, with a box of cigars in it or empty with just the beads and the results are the same. I let it stabilize for weeks each time I tested it. I tried testing them in a smaller air tight container also with the same results (70% RH with about 25% or less of the beads clear).

My thought is that if the RH got up to 70%, the 65% beads would absorb the excess moisture, bring the RH down and start turning clear but that is not happening. I don’t understand how the 65% beads can be in a sealed environment, the RH remaining at 70% and the beads stay all white.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rick

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
it sounds like you are doing everytrhing right. But before you throw away your beads, send an email to Dave. He will help you out.

only thing that i can add is that even small temp changes can play havoc with hygrometer readings. also surface area of the beads will greatly their performance.