What's new

cooler / heartfelt beads inquiry

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I have a 62qt. igloo cooler with a pound of dry 60% heartfelt beads distributed in four places throughout the interior. According to the bead calculator on the Heartfelt site, this amount is more than sufficient for the cooler volume. I did the flashlight test on the cooler seal and all appears tight. I live in a dry climate where the outside humidity is rarely over 50%. I have a calibrated and accurate hydrometer affixed to the lid of the cooler.

The cooler humidity is steady at 70% and has been that way since I set up the cooler over two months ago. The beads are still opaque white. Any suggestions about what to try? Thanks

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Are you trying to lower the humidity? What % are the beads set at?

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Yes, I was hoping the dry 60% beads would lower the humidity to something near 60% since they absorb moisture when dry.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Removing 60% beads from a 70% environment wouldn't lower the humidity. The beads should absorb moisture if the ambient humidity is above 60% and the beads are dry. At least that's my understanding...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would try putting the beads on a sheet pan, place in the oven at 200 degrees for an hour to dry completely out and put them back in.

edit: Unless they are the beads in the tubes, not sure if you can take those tubes apart.

Last edited:

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I would try putting the beads on a sheet pan, place in the oven at 200 degrees for an hour to dry completely out and put them back in.

edit: Unless they are the beads in the tubes, not sure if you can take those tubes apart.
It sounds like your beads may either be 70% or they are saturated. also with the amnient hunidity you should be ale to set the beads on a counter and they should dry out.

The refriderator will also suck any humidity out of the beads. I placed mine in the fride for a day, and they were super dry. Takes a bit longer than the oven, but I didn't have the right dishes to feel comfortable using the oven. Also I recently saw a suggestion for 150 degrees at 15 minutes, don't know what is right, jut sayin.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
sounds like you may 70 Rh beads. Now is it holding 70Rh empty or is this with the cooler full? A cooler that large and very full be tough for air to circulate so you may have created several "zones" where humidity stays high. Remember the more area exposed to the beads better they work.

Have you tried putting the hygrometer in different places and see if the reading changes? You may just need to move things around for better airflow and let the beads do thier job.

ThankfulJoe

Rather Be Flying
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
My 65% beads hold my 48 qt Coleman (about 2/3 full of cigars) right at 65-68%. As previously stated if the cooler is empty that may also be affecting your RH. Having all the cedar and cigars in there to absorb and retain humidity helps a ton. When I first got my cooler back in the states and I was testing out the beads I was worried also. I let it stabilize for 3-4 days in the cooler while empty and it wouldn't go below 75%. After adding cigars and boxes it stabilized below 70% and has stayed there since.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
The cooler is full of boxes and singles. I actually loaded the cigars before installing the beads. The beads are in the four corners in mesh bags. I have 65% beads as well. I will swap them out and see what happens. Maybe the current 60% beads were mislabeled.
I will also move the hydrometer to a new spot. Thanks for the suggestions :)