What's new

Cooler or fridge

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I have an extra mini fridge and a jajillion coolers lying around. Which one should I use for storage for aging? I guess I'm asking the pros and cons of either since I have both readily available.

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
If you have the coolers in a temperature controlled environment use them and fill the fridge with beer:) most guys do not suggest using a refrigerator (if plugged in) to store smokes just due to compressor pulling humidity out of environment. Coolers work just fine and easier to add to and put out of the way for long term aging. Just my.02

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I agree with smokem... you cant really use the mini-fridge in its cooling capacity.. it will be too cold.. and it will draw out moisture.. so all you really have is a well sealed box.. that could be used for better purposes (like keeping your beer cold)...

I'd use one of your larger sized coolers..

or if you dont mind spending a couple of bucks.. there are a bunch of wine coolers on the DC craigslist of all sizes.. for less than $100 (some as low as $40).. If you watch CL closely, you can usually find a 12-18 bottle cooler for less than $40 (I picked up mine, new in the box, for $20 off of a lady in Richmond)....

For a very small investment, you can get the cooling capability, tight seal, and organization capability that a wineador brings... and not loose your beer fridge.. or your regular coolers.. (just my .02)...