What's new

Coolidor/Bead Smell

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Gents

My 65% heartfelt beads have a kind of chemical odor to them even after having for months now. Anyone else get this?

Now I am starting to smell it when I open my coolidor untouched after a few days instead of the strong cedar blast that I am used to... The cedar trays in there are super aromatic

Any idea what I should do? It would not say it smells like a humidor

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
One of the reasons why I stopped using beads...even though they do keep RH where you need it. I gave beads 2 chances and when the first half pound started to give off a funk I just thought I got a bad batch and then re ordered another half pound and after close to a year those started giving off the same funk as well. Maybe my olfactories are very sensitive but I stopped using it after that and went straight to KL after experimenting with it between the first and second set of Beads. One thing I notice about cigars is when you rest them for a good 8 months they will pick up aromas of what it is housed in which is why most will choose wood humidors to house them in. I use cedar sheets in all of my humidors and tupperadors to get that scent of cedar so I'd advise you to start looking maybe for another RH media to use until you find something you like and that works for you.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
^^exactly.. Give KL a try. Inexpensive enough to change out every year if you have to. Keeps rh wherever you want it. I do kL in tupperdore and add 1 65% boveda and it is rock steady at 65. I hydrate beads every 6 to 8 weeks depending on season. Using it now since the summer. If you like higher RH go with a 69% boveda.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
my cedar trays don't really have a smell. i thought they weren't supposed to.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
What type of cigars do you mainly store. CC/NC? And basic deal cigars or mainly high end boutique? Ill give you my guess once you answer.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thanks for all your input guys. Maybe 80% NC and 20 CC. Almost all premium sticks and a bunch of HTF stuff. My cedar trays are very aromatic and I have other boxes in there too but it doesn't smell anything like when I walk into a humidor. 70qt Coleman

rev.b

Master of Mayhem * BoM 1/14
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Boxes or singles? Plain, painted or varnished boxes?? Paper boxes??? It all adds up to weird smells

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
My guess is you have young CC boxes releasing ammonia and even some NC boxes will do this. Being in a winodor or cololidor makes it worse as they're so tight there is no place for it to escape. The beads will absorb the ammonia and not release it. I use activated carbon for fish filters to counteract this. Just place it in a shallow bowl. Since I added it years ago to my winodors, I have not had a problem. Go online and google activated carbon. Just keep it separate from your humidity beads or kitty litter.